Referencing exterior locations

How do you all reference the exterior of the house in your reports. Do you use north, east, west, south, or front, back, right, left?

I was thinking of stating for the purpose of this report all references to the exterior will be addressed as front, back, right, left, as if one were facing the front of the house. What standards do you find easily understandable by anyone reading the report?

I normally state in the report introduction which direction the house faces. Then, when I'm describing exterior components or drainage issues, if I mention that something is at the "back" I'll put the direction in parenthesis to reinforce the direction; for instance, I might say, "There is an elevated deck at the back (south) side of the house." After that, I'll reference direction for the sides and front and back when I'm describing the exterior and direction only when inside.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

How do you all reference the exterior of the house in your reports. Do you use north, east, west, south, or front, back, right, left?

I use compass points because they're hard to misunderstand.

I was thinking of stating for the purpose of this report all references to the exterior will be addressed as front, back, right, left, as if one were facing the front of the house. What standards do find easily understandable by anyone reading the report?

That'd be fine. Lots of inspectors do that. As long as the house is a rectangle, it works great. When you start to get into U-shaped houses, it'll be more of a challenge. With those houses, just stop, think and come up with whatever description seems simple, straightforward and hard to misunderstand. Try to stay away from, "the middle left window in the third bedroom from the right in the back end of the west wing."

- Jim Katen, Oregon

I use Front, Rear, Left and Right as you are looking at the home from the front door. I used compass points at one time and I found that very few had any idea of North or South but everyone understood Front and Rear. I agree that with odd shape homes it does become more of a challenge but it is not that difficult and those type of homes are not that common. Just keep it simple.

• 3 weeks later...

How about using a photograph w/a red arrow pointing @ the defect, and saying...."right here"....(?)....

I say N, S, E, or W quite a bit due to the Chicago stree grid; makes it real easy.

But, mostly I use photos with a description and an arrow.