Video Inspections

I'm wondering how many implement video in their inspections. How much do you video?

I was asked by an investor/flipper who buys foreclosures, and wants to use video inspections to probably show before & after kind of stuff. Not that interested in doing business with that guy, especially when he wants to negotiate my fee with the promise of many more inspections in the near future.

But it did get me more curious about video.

Frank

I'm wondering how many implement video in their inspections. How much do you video?

I've used it a few times for special stuff but not for regular everyday inspections. It was ok but I like to have my hands free during an inspection and the camera kind of gets in the way. Also, while I'm recording, I get tunnelvision.

I was asked by an investor/flipper who buys foreclosures, and wants to use video inspections to probably show before & after kind of stuff.

The stuff you video wouldn't be of use to him. If he wants to make a TV show about how great a job he does, he should do it himself.

Not that interested in doing business with that guy, especially when he wants to negotiate my fee with the promise of many more inspections in the near future.

When someone tells me about how they're going to be doing dozens of these things and they're shopping around for an inspector to give them a good deal, I agree to give them a 20% discount: the first 4 inspections at full price and the 5th for free. None of them has ever made it to 5 inspection.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

I was asked by an investor/flipper who buys foreclosures, and wants to use video inspections to probably show before & after kind of stuff. Not that interested in doing business with that guy, especially when he wants to negotiate my fee with the promise of many more inspections in the near future.

But it did get me more curious about video.

Frank

John Geiger out of Milwaukee, WI has been video-taping every one of his inspections for about the last 20 years. You can find him through the ASHI website, and I'm sure he'd be glad to talk to you.

I'm wondering if he says he will do all kinds of business with you to get you to lower the price, but the video for this guy... I'm wondering if he wants to use that to learn how to do inspections.

Jim, great idea on how to address someone who claims they will have a bunch of inspections for you in the future.