Is Adobe really necessary?

I'd like to remove Adobe stuff from my computers. It's seems invasive, a nuisance, and seems to be causing some glitches.

For all the downloadable documents online that "require" Adobe Acrobat reader to view them, would another PDF reader suffice?

What would be the consequences or removing Acrobat?

I've found no downside to removing Adobe. I use

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/

I use PC's.

I downloaded Windows Defender Software (free at Microsoft.com). One of the tools allows you to disable programs that automatically load at startup (including a few automatic update type programs). I was surprised at how many programs were loading. After you see that the computer works OK with the program disabled, you can then remove the program from startup. Subesquent to that, my computers run much more efficiently and faster.

Windows defender also checks for spyware.

I am sure there are many other ways to accomplish the same thing but the price was right and it is easy for me to use.

As stated:

Not much. Install FoxIT, I just put it on a school recently for 500 computers. It's a LOT smaller than Acrobat, loads a lot faster too. Get it at www.foxitsoftware.com for free

Note that FoxIT might not show 100% of what Acrobat is supposed to but you'll get about 99.99%

Now , Adobe Flash you're stuck with as there's no alternative and you'll miss some good content without it.

Hi Randy,

Just a thought. Besides the ICC thing, I assume you produce your reports as a pdf file? As the vast majority of your customers are going to be using Adobe reader, it would seem wise for you to check the files you produce using the same, standard software. I always download mine after uploading them and give them a quick once over (using Adobe reader) to ensure nothing went wrong when I created them (using PDF995). I then copy and paste the link into the notification e-mail directly from the browser window. That way I can't screw up the address.

For those interested, I've just discovered a bummer. . .

2006 IRC won't open without Acrobat Reader. I purchased the online download direct from ICC. I don't know if there's another source of purchase, but ICC products appear to only be compatible with Adobe.

Yes that is a lock. ICC soft-copies are dependent upon Adobe whether it be Acrobat or Reader. In fact if you unlock your particular Code/Commentary in "Reader" it will NOT open in Acrobat. The unlock code remembers which one you "did it" in.

Now ... keep in mind if you initially unlock your Code/Commentary in Acrobat (Standard or Professional) and note that there is an update at the ICC site for your package you will not be able to download it as that is a limitation that Adobe has put into Acrobat (Standard or Professional). So ... you get to open the package in Reader and then you can download it to a folder on your PC and then run the EXE file and it will overwrite the original and you can then open up the new version in Acrobat. Note that you won't be able to see past the cover page in the 'other' Adobe product, but you will be able to click on the link at the left that indicates downloading a newer version of the ICC product.

So ... Some may ask me about such details?? Well, I just had to rebuild my notebooks HDD and I used my second (and last) unlock code to reload to the reformatted HDD. I noted the "newer version" notice and called ICC and learned all of the above. BTW - now that I've used all my unlock codes, should I need to load or reload all I have to do is call and request a "reset" on my license number.

The ICC contact told me today that they have been working to get all their packages off of the Adobe application into a different or possibly 'web-based' product. He did not go into any details short of noting that they are not the happiest with Adobe.

For those interested, I've just discovered a bummer. . .

2006 IRC won't open without Acrobat Reader. I purchased the online download direct from ICC. I don't know if there's another source of purchase, but ICC products appear to only be compatible with Adobe.

Reader is free. Just download it.