Rats, Squirrels or Roof Beavers?

Richard Moore

I've seen some nasty wood shake roofs, but today's may have been the worst. And this on a home listed at just under two million. The following is a typical example.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif 091109P043x.jpg

247.86 KB

1986 home BTW, obviously original roof. Inside the attic I found half a dozen holes to clear daylight through the felt and shakes above. But the best is the one I found after a knee-screwing-up crawl to the other end. This I could put my fist through.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif 091109P071x.jpg

240.6 KB

It looks like it got enlarged by rodents (no bird nest stuff). There were typical runs in the loose-fill insulation, some rat traps (still set) back at the hatch, but I didn't see any droppings. Easy call on the roof replacement but I have...questions:

1. Do squirrels poop in attics?

2. If so, would it resemble rat poop and be found in the same places?

3. Why would a rat bother to make a hole WAY larger than it needs.

4. Are roof beavers a figment of my imagination?

I guarantee you that the listing agent can find a roofer to certify that roof.

1. Do squirrels poop in attics?

Of course.

2. If so, would it resemble rat poop and be found in the same places?

Yes. See here: http://en.allexperts.com/q/Wild-Animals ... p-look.htm

3. Why would a rat bother to make a hole WAY larger than it needs.

Squirrels chew on stuff to grind down their ever growing teeth (I wish I had that problem)

See here: http://www.ehow.com/how_5561225_stop-sq ... iding.html

4. Are roof beavers a figment of my imagination?

I've seen pictures on another forum, but question the authenticity of the photo. Then again, ya never know where a beaver is going to end up.

I'm puzzled by the details of that installation. I see shingles over skip around here, but shakes are always on battens over solid sheathing covered in felt with more felt between courses. How do the shakes dry if there is felt over the skip?

As for the holes, are you sure the last inspector didn't step through? That looks like a good toe hold to me.

Tom

BTW, nice beaver shot!

Shakes are very inconsistent in thickness and texture, so layers of felt are interlaced between courses over the skip. Air passes under the shakes, thorugh the felt and into the attic and dries them out. These roofs breath so well that attic ventilation is pretty much not an issue - even when some idiot vents a bath fan into one of these attics.

It could have been a crow. When a young crow starts worrying at the edges of a hole he'll go on for hours and hours and even days pecking and pulling at the edges.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Maybe it's an ice dam thing that has us Easterners putting shakes on battens then and not over skip.

Tom

No really,

The technique you use is the one prescribed by the Shake and Shingle Bureau for extreme weather areas. I know you get some pretty extreme weather where you are.

OT - OF!!!

M.