Water Heater Heat-Pump

Bain

I found this condenser sitting in the corner of a garage in a 40 year old house this morning. It took a minute or so, but I quickly realized that the refrigerant lines and power cables had been severed and pushed back into the wall (I pulled them out, which is why you can see them in the photo). Anyhow, it was intended to warm up the water heater.

But should this thing have been installed in a garage? The 06 in the model number suggests it's a 1/2-ton unit, and the 70 in the serial number likely indicates the year.

I Googled "water heater heat pump" and apparently these guys are fairly common, even though I've never seen one in my area before. Does anyone know if these heat pumps are efficient or whether they work well?

Click to Enlarge
tn_2009121817310_DSC00009.jpg

37.63 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20091218173215_DSC00008.jpg

31.47 KB

Does anyone know if these heat pumps are efficient or whether they work well?

Jeez John,

How did you miss this? It depends on local climate. Check out some of the links I posted into that thread. Also, Google "ORNL Heat Pump Water Heater Research." That should pull up one of the papers I saw about efficiency of these units in various parts of the country.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Does anyone know if these heat pumps are efficient or whether they work well?

Jeez John,

How did you miss this? It depends on local climate. Check out some of the links I posted into that thread. Also, Google "ORNL Heat Pump Water Heater Research." That should pull up one of the papers I saw about efficiency of these units in various parts of the country.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Oh . . . well but that explains it, Mike. The info was contained in one of your posts. I don't think anyone reads your posts.

Whuuhoa . . . easy. Just bustin' your chops a little.