Flatness Standard

hausdok

Hi All,

I've loaned my NAHB Residential Construction Performance Guidelines to another inspector; and, wouldn't you know it, I have an immediate need to know what the standard is for waviness in siding. Had one the other day where when I sighted down the side of the house the wall was unusually wavy and out of plane.

It's not unusual here; lots of houses get pretty wet here before they get closed in and after a year or two of drying out there's usually a little bit of movement; however, this house had more than what I'd consider typical so I'm going to have to write it.

Does anyone out there have the guidelines and is able to post the appicable citation for me chapter and verse, including the corrective measure. If so, I'd appreciate it.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Pg. 29:

Aluminum or Vinyl Lap Siding:

4-5-10: Observation: Aluminum or vinyl siding is bowed or wavy.

Performance Guideline: Some waviness in aluminum or vinyl lap siding is to be expected because of bows in studs. Waves or similar distortions in aluminum or vinyl lap siding are considered excessive if they exceed 1/2" in 32".

Corrective Measure: The contractor will correct any waves or distortions to comply with the performance guideline by reinstalling or replacing siding as necessary.

I hope this is what you need, but it's all relative to inside surfaces - not outside?

Page 19:

Wall Framing:

4-1-1: Observation: A framed wall is not plumb.

Performance Guideline: The interior face of wood-framed walls shall not be more than 3/8 inch out of plumb for any 32 inches in any vertical measurement. (A remodeling specific note follows which I assume doesn't apply)

Corrective action: The contractor will repair the wall to meet the performance guideline.

4-1-2: Observation: The wall is bowed.

Performance Guideline: Walls shall not bow more than 1/2 inch out of line within any 32-inch horizontal measurement, or 1/2-inch out of line within any 8-foot vertical measurement. (A remodeling specific note again follows, which I assume does not apply.)

Corrective Measure: The contractor will repair the wall to meet the performance guideline.

And that's perfect example of why the NAHB Residential Construction Performance Guidelines are a self-serving travesty.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Agreed, but I don't really see anything in any code that I can use and I wanted to get an idea of just how much leeway NAHB has written into their standards. This is a 1-year old home; there's no telling what the fine print in the purchase and sale agreement is.

OT - OF!!!

M.

• 2 months later...