Nutone air to air heat exchanger

Robert Jones

Home was built in 1987 and that this unit installed in the garage. The home was heated via electric ceiling radiant strips. I was not able to get the Nutone to turn on and just figured via appearance that it was out of commission. Is an air to air heat exchanger another way to fluctuate the air within the home? First one of these for me. I am not sure if I should call it out or what.

T

Click to Enlarge
tn_2009123022116_P1060577%20(Medium).jpg

40.95 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2009123022130_P1060546%20(Medium).jpg

58.06 KBhanks.

That's an ancient heat recovery ventilator. It's supposed to take some indoor air and blow it outside while, at the same time, taking some outdoor air and blowing it inside. As the air streams pass each other, they warmer stream gives up its heat to the cooler stream so that the ventilation doesn't increase the load on the heating or cooling system. There are usually filters in there that no one knows are supposed to be cleaned. After 20+ years, they're probably completely occluded. If it doesn't work, someone ought to come out and fix it.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Thanks Jim.

There were filters(kinda) and a round disc looking thingy that were filthy. I will recommend a service call by a HVAC tech.

Thanks again.

The round disc is the rotary core. There are two basic types of HRV, rotary core and fixed plate. The rotary core versions were supposed to be more efficient at transferring heat and they were capable of transferring some humidity as well. However, every one I've ever seen wasn't working properly. The fixed core ones that I see are generally in pretty good shape, except for being dirty.

If you have access to the JLC archives, there was a good article about them in March of 1994.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

• 7 months later...

Hi,

I think you are right. This is one way to fluctuate the air. Air cooled heat exchangers are no more than one kind of heat exchange device from a large list of heat exchangers. Fundamentally, heat exchange machines are devices that are especially designed for helping the discharge of heat coming from a specific volume of fluid in the direction of the other. It's also possible to use air coolers on other conditions that have heightened temperatures, high pressure, acidic fluids and environments. To be more specific, air coolers are generally utilised and set up in the everyday gas and oil refineries; gas storage facilities.

• 5 weeks later...