Sump Pump Requirements

Matt Klein

I have three questions. Please note the emphasis I have used on certain words.

First, does anyone know of any regulations or codes requiring IN GENERAL a sump pump system on the INTERIOR side of a basement? I know about the IPC requirements for an EXTERIOR footer drain that might need a sump pump system. I am also aware of the requirement for a sump pump for an interior drainage system that cannot drain to a main line via gravity. I am specifically asking whether anyone knows of regulations or codes REQUIRING them in ALL basements.

Second, for sump pump systems on the interior side of the basement, does anyone know of any regulations or codes requiring that the sump pump pit be attached to drain lines inside the basement FOR NEW CONSTRUCTION? In other words, could a sump pump pit be used without having drain lines run to it for new construction. Please note that I have been around awhile. I know the disadvantages of installing a pit without using drain lines. I also know that retrofits are usually installed without drain lines. This question is specifically about one being installed prior to the concrete slab being poured. I need to know if regulations or codes REQUIRE drain lines.

Third, for sump pump systems in basements with drain lines, does anyone know of any regulation or codes that require that the drain line be installed around the footer as opposed to under the field part of the slab, the field being the the general area of the slab as opposed to the area around the perimeter.

Please note again, that I am asking about code and regulation requirements--not acceptable building practices or doing it the right way. You guys know as well as I that some people will not do things the right way until they are told to do it that way. Thanks for the answers.

I have three questions. Please note the emphasis I have used on certain words.

First, does anyone know of any regulations or codes requiring IN GENERAL a sump pump system on the INTERIOR side of a basement? I know about the IPC requirements for an EXTERIOR footer drain that might need a sump pump system. I am also aware of the requirement for a sump pump for an interior drainage system that cannot drain to a main line via gravity. I am specifically asking whether anyone knows of regulations or codes REQUIRING them in ALL basements.

No.

In the IBC, check 1807.4. It lays out the requirements for subsoil drainage under the floor of the building. It simply requires that the basement slab be placed over a 4" deep base course. However, there's an exception that says that the base course isn't necessary if the site is located on well drained gravel or sand-gravel mix soils. There's no requirement for a sump pump.

Second, for sump pump systems on the interior side of the basement, does anyone know of any regulations or codes requiring that the sump pump pit be attached to drain lines inside the basement FOR NEW CONSTRUCTION? In other words, could a sump pump pit be used without having drain lines run to it for new construction.

I think that's a design issues that just isn't addressed by the codes. The closest thing that I can find is in the IBC, section 1807.1.3 that says, in part, " The design of the system to lower the ground-water table shall be based on accepted principles of engineering that shall consider, but not necessarily be limited to, permeability of the soil, rate at which water enters the drainage system, rated capacity of pumps, head against which pumps are to operate and the rated capacity of the disposal area of the system."

Please note that I have been around awhile. I know the disadvantages of installing a pit without using drain lines. I also know that retrofits are usually installed without drain lines. This question is specifically about one being installed prior to the concrete slab being poured. I need to know if regulations or codes REQUIRE drain lines.

Not drain lines so much as a complete base course that, if done properly, would make drain lines compeltely unnecessary. As far as I know, "drain lines," when used under a basement slab, are purely a retrofit phenomenon. They're not something that you use in new construction.

Third, for sump pump systems in basements with drain lines, does anyone know of any regulation or codes that require that the drain line be installed around the footer as opposed to under the field part of the slab, the field being the the general area of the slab as opposed to the area around the perimeter.

No. As I pointed out earlier, drain lines are a fix, not OEM equipment.

Please note again, that I am asking about code and regulation requirements--not acceptable building practices or doing it the right way. You guys know as well as I that some people will not do things the right way until they are told to do it that way. Thanks for the answers.

If we really want to get into this, the first thing you'll have to do is provide us with the code that applies. Otherwise we can get stuck looking around in circles at the various codes.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

• 2 weeks later...
Not drain lines so much as a complete base course that, if done properly, would make drain lines compeltely unnecessary. As far as I know, "drain lines," when used under a basement slab, are purely a retrofit phenomenon. They're not something that you use in new construction.

For the sake of discussion, interior foundation perimeter drain lines are installed as a matter of course in every new build here. I agree they're unnecessary but the water sure does pour out of em even when the sump is perforated like swiss cheese.

From the NY residential code

R405.2.3 Drainage system. In other than Group I soils, a sump shall be provided to drain the porous layer and footings. The sump shall be at least 24 inches (610 mm) in diameter or 20 inches square (0.0129 m2), shall extend at least 24 inches (610 mm) below the bottom of the basement floor and shall be capable of positive gravity or mechanical drainage to remove any accumulated water. The drainage system shall discharge into an approved sewer system or to daylight.