Hot Water & PEX

Brian G

I assume that at least some PEX is rated for hot water, but is all of it so rated or are there different types for that? I found some used as piping on a relief valve (ASTMF 876/877). They reduced it to 1/2", so it has to go anyway, I'm just curious.

Brian G.

Ain't PEX Them Thar Chest Muskles? [:-dunce]

I asked a similar question years ago when CPVC and even PB started appearing as T&PR extensions. The answer I got from the gurus was it should be rated at 210 degrees (the max temp. at which the valves are supposed to open).

Anyone else see garden hose for T&PR extensions? What is their temp. rating?

Originally posted by hausdok

. . . Otherwise, if the T & P did blow the thing might flail around like a woman at a bluelight sale in WalMart.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Michael,

I am shocked. Shocked and appalled that you would say such a thing. Blue light sales are a *K-Mart* thing. Not a WalMart thing.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Originally posted by inspecthistoric

Anyone else see garden hose for T&PR extensions? What is their temp. rating?

I haven't seen that, but about 8 out of 10 I see across the line in Bama has nothing on the relief valve (the infamous "air pipe"). [:-bigeyes

Brian G.

For years I used to write any plastic T&P drainpipe as "not rated for 210 degrees or 150psi, the temperature and pressure at which the T&P valve opens." I took a lot of grief and got slapped around by codes permitting CPVC (as others have stated). So I backed off and don't make such a big deal about it any more. I just make sure the CPVC isn't close to the flue and discharges correctly. I have yet to see PEX on a water heater; in fact, seeing PEX at all is very rare around here.

• 3 weeks later...

...For years I used to write any plastic T&P drainpipe as "not rated for 210 degrees or 150psi, the temperature and pressure at which the T&P valve opens."

Hey Paul,

what you have to remember about the PT discharge is that it is open ended, so the pressure-temp rating for the pipe is moot. I think "size is what matters" here.

Originally posted by Jim Baird

...For years I used to write any plastic T&P drainpipe as "not rated for 210 degrees or 150psi, the temperature and pressure at which the T&P valve opens."

Hey Paul,

what you have to remember about the PT discharge is that it is open ended, so the pressure-temp rating for the pipe is moot. I think "size is what matters" here.

Jim...we hope it's open ended![:-timebm]