Help with this grinder pump

blazenut

Can anyone shed some light on this grinder pump for me? The whole house's waste plumbing was plumbed to it. It went from 4" coming into it (also some 1 1/2" - 2" going in to it from various other fixtures) and then the main pipe that exited the foundation was 2" i believe. Ive never seen the main sewer line a small line like that, and it has a valve on it? why? If anyone can post a response and maybe an article on such a pump and its bene

Click to Enlarge
tn_201012718398_4.jpg

32.21 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010127183943_1.jpg

42.04 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010127184029_2.jpg

20.54 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010127184059_3.jpg

37.08 KBfits, i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

One more thing... can somebody "Google" why there would be a valve on the street side of this pump? And, could somebody "Google" why you want the main sewer line to be smaller in the first place? I could really use a seasoned "Googler" to help me out with this one...THANKS IN ADVANCE!

One more thing... can somebody "Google" why there would be a valve on the street side of this pump?

To isolate the pump. They have this pump because the house's plumbing fixtures are below the sewer line. If you didn't have that valve there, then when you needed to change the pump, everything in that pipe would flow backwards.

And, could somebody "Google" why you want the main sewer line to be smaller in the first place?

That pipe is always full of product. If you had a 3" pipe the weight of the product would be much greater and the pump would have to work a lot harder to move it. There's also no reason for it to be so big. Traditional drain pipes are large because they need to have room for air. They're rarely more than about 1/3 full of product. The 2" pipe in the picture is jammed full all the time, so it's capacity really isn't any less than a 3" gravity drain.

I could really use a seasoned "Googler" to help me out with this one...THANKS IN ADVANCE!

It seems to me that you could really use a kick in the pants. Please lose the attitude.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

You know, i really appreciate and value this site. Everytime i post anything, i get some smart ass remark for an answer. I really dont want to have attitude, im a nice person, really, i guess i feel cornered sometimes and lash out in defense. IM sorry, and thank you, Jim, for your informative answer. It makes total sense why the line would be smaller now (thanks). Usually when i see these grinder pumps they are only for the fixtures that are below the level of the sewer line (ejecting waste into a higher pipe that exits the foundation via gravity), this house had the entire house going into the grinder pump, rather than only the bathroom and bar plumbing from the basement. It was the first time i saw this. sorry for the attitude. :)