Voltage drops reading on the suretest

pkunk

The acceptable range for voltage is 108 to 132 volts. They used to say that a 10% drop was unacceptable. 108 is a 12 volt drop from 120 volts or 10%, no? I guess that's where they came up with the 108 volts.

Anyway, I've mellowed over the years. I think I'd only report it if it was in excess of 10% and reading less than 108 volts. I don't think you're going to see that with new wiring but you might see it with K & T or some of the older post-WWII stuff.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

That is one of the problems (not really a problem, but just too much information) with a ShureTest tester. I use to report voltage drops, but I got so tired of electricians saying that they could not really do anyting about it because it was an issue with the utility company. Then everyone would look at me for an answer.

I stopped looking voltage drops many years back.

That is one of the problems (not really a problem, but just too much information) with a ShureTest tester. I use to report voltage drops, but I got so tired of electricians saying that they could not really do anyting about it because it was an issue with the utility company. Then everyone would look at me for an answer.

A while back, there was a thread about feeding sub-panels from other sub-panels. That's one type of wiring practice that can result in voltage drop issues because the impedances add up. But the utility? Not a chance. Need another electrician. If you still think it's the utility, check the voltage drop on an outlet that is very near, or attached to the main panelboard.

I've never bothered with checking voltage drops but my eye is always on the lookout for light bulbs that suddenly dim for a few seconds. When I see it, the focus of the inspection is adjusted a little closer towards the electrical installation.

Marc

I had a bathroom the other day with 12.8vd @20amp. The house had many other eletrical issues as well, no grounds on half of the plugs, doubletaps, ect.... Time to call old Sparky!

Chances are good that Sparky won't have a clue. The voltage drop provisions are an unenforceable "fine print note" in the NEC. I used to routinely measure voltage drops of 10-20% before my Suretest got stolen.

My advice is to throw away your Suretest.

I had a bathroom the other day with 12.8vd @20amp. The house had many other eletrical issues as well, no grounds on half of the plugs, doubletaps, ect.... Time to call old Sparky!

Chances are good that Sparky won't have a clue. The voltage drop provisions are an unenforceable "fine print note" in the NEC. I used to routinely measure voltage drops of 10-20% before my Suretest got stolen.

My advice is to throw away your Suretest.

I was referring to the rest of the issue's not the VD. Besides, wouldn't selling it be a better route?[:D]

Do any of you guys check the voltage at the main coming into the panel? that would tell you which side the voltage drop is coming from,or am I thinking like a contractor again?

Relax Jim. We're both contractors.

You're right on cue about checking voltage drop near the panel to get an idea how much of the impedance at a problem VD location is due to the premises wiring and how much is due to utility line impedance.

Marc

Maybe it's just mine, but I don't trust the suretest. It often seems to give me bogus readings.

One of my plans this year is to spend more time looking at a homes electrical system under load with my IR camera. I wonder what correlation exists between what the suretest says vrs infrared?

My guess is the correlation is poor.

Chris, Oregon