service spans

cjay876

well this is whats going on. i have a customer who is doing an addition to his house and he needs is service drop to be move to the other side of his house temporarily (they are still living at home.)also when its all said and done he will be upgrading to 400 amps. i was planning to put a few 4x4x16 poles off to the side to mount his service drop and that would fix the problem... whats the maximum distance i can have the poles a part. article "225.6.A" would apply right?

P.S. can't put a temp pole they will be living at the home during the process and need all there electrical to be intact

anything before the meter ,including the meter, belongs to the electric utility.

Thus anything before the meter is not covered by the NEC as utilities are except from the NEC as far as electrical distribution is concerned.

NEC article 90.2 (B)(5) explains this.

That's not the case here. The service entry cable and meter box do not "belong to the electric utility".

anything before the meter ,including the meter, belongs to the electric utility.

Thus anything before the meter is not covered by the NEC as utilities are except from the NEC as far as electrical distribution is concerned.

NEC article 90.2 (B)(5) explains this.

That's not the case here. The service entry cable and meter box do not "belong to the electric utility".

Same here, except that some utilities require you to purchase their meter box. That was the case when I did my service 10 years ago anyway.

Tom

Around here, the electric company has on its web site "Electric Service Requirements".

And when looking for this on their web site, they show different rules for each state.

So check your local electric company web site. And be sure you are looking at the rules for your state if the electric company serves several states.

Also you can call them up and they should be able to send out someone who can tell you what they can / can't do.

FYI - Pacific power Electric Service Requirements for Washington, Oregon, California, Utah, Idaho, Wyoming...

http://www.pacificpower.net/con/esr.html

Is this a temporary install or a permanent one?

You said the service drop - which is the utilities overhead lines prior to the meter. From the meter in it's yours.

Are you talking about relocating the overhead lines as well as the meter and cable to the panel ?

If it's a temp install just put enough to keep it up. If it's a permanent I wouldn't use 4x4's

Explain exactly what you are doing

Scope home inspection....ignorance is not bliss, me being a master electrican/control tech don't mean i know everything that's why i ask question when i'm not sure..... how the this thing came up, was the utility company told me it was my responsibility to provide a temporary support for the service since the meter base is not being moved. The addition is starting where the original service drop was. so the service drop is temporary untill the addition is finish.

I don't know of any required intervals. Back in the day, we just made sure the service drop was 12' above the ground and 15' above where vehicles traveled through the site. There was one type of front-discharge concrete trucks that required a little more clearance. Two 2x4-16's held by laborers did the trick.