Building Envelope Issues

Zaboss

I only had a few moments to look at the attic pics with the extensive condensation/frost.

I have a brand new home that has had almost every issue to do with missed insulation. I have had thermal imaging done to show that I have major issues. This was confirmed by an attic inspection. I fear that there are gaps in my attic vapor barrier everywhere. My windows have excessive frost. We have kept the humidity at the lowest it can go. I know what you are going to say. It is the humidity level in the house causing this. Well, I have lived in this climate for over 30 years and have not seen anything like what you are about to see in the enclosed photos.
We've all seen many, many homes with inadequate insulation/ventilation/vapor barriers, thermal bypasses and leaky windows. Yes, they can often cause some moisture to condense and become frost. The condition shown in your pics however, show that there are bucket fulls of moisture in your home. You need to find and fix the source of moisture first.

My first thought is the vent from gas-fired heating equipment or a gas fireplace isn't connected properly, spilling into the home and/or attic.

My first thought is the vent from gas-fired heating equipment or a gas fireplace isn't connected properly, spilling into the home and/or attic.

That is my first thought as well. What gas fired appliances are in the house? Have you confirmed that they are venting outside and that the flues is not bloked?

• 1 year later...