I walk roofs, I don't walk walls!

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif 100723E087.jpg

253.47 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif 100723E035.jpg

176.62 KB

The roof was easy...single story access from the front. Call me chicken, but I don't test 50' high catwalks for rot by walking on them. That's a job for the window washer or painter! Maybe the Rinnai service guy? (top right of the first photo) I especially liked the single plank at the "lower" corner in the 2nd photo.

There were a few very dodgy looking eyebolts, sporadically placed at some areas, but I don't include climbing gear and body harnesses in my toolkit. Fortunately, the client agreed that the fee didn't include putting my life at risk. He also, very smartly, had a structural engineer there for the...ummm...foundation.

Evidently, racoons don't get vertigo.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif 100723E029.jpg

139.14 KB

I'd have asked the agent to go out there.

Uhm, what was supporting the brick chimney? I thought the flying chimney concept went out at the turn of the previous century.

Tom

Not brick. It was a tin faux chimney.

How did they flash all of those joists that penetrate the siding?

No flashing that I could see Jim, but it's an excellent question. I've seen a bunch of decks cantilevered from floor joists over the years. I don't believe I've ever seen flashing at any of them where they meet siding. But...I also don't remember ever seeing any rot or problems right at the house. That's usually at the outboard ends or the upper portions of the joists elsewhere. In this case I did see (and report) some minor end rot at 4 of the joists in one area. Despite not walking the catwalks, I was able to get a fairly decent view of most areas from various windows and vantage points and the rest of the joists "looked" sound (although I disclaimed them due to lack of safe access). The home had a fresh paint job and caulk looked good everywhere. I guess that means that painters were out on those catwalks very recently. Shudder!

So...what would you expect to see at cantilevered joists like this, other than decent caulking?

A little later...trying to answer my own question. http://www.finehomebuilding.com/how-to/ ... oists.aspx .

I'm betting this wasn't done on this or any other 60's and 70's home with cantilevered deck joists. Hmmm...!

Wow, all those cantilevered joists must have made construction very convenient and allowed quite a savings on scaffold rental, but they basically amount to a single-payer stimulus plan when someone is hired to repair all the rot they will cause.

Would you guys write up a situation like that? Would you moisture-meter the interior in the area of those penetrations?

Wow, all those cantilevered joists must have made construction very convenient and allowed quite a savings on scaffold rental, but they basically amount to a single-payer stimulus plan when someone is hired to repair all the rot they will cause.

Would you guys write up a situation like that? Would you moisture-meter the interior in the area of those penetrations?

Yeah, I mention that concern. Even when I can't find any rot I recommend forcefully that they be proactive and get someone to harden those ends against rot and bugs and I send them to the Abatron site to learn how that's done.

http://www.abatron.com

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike