Waterproofing a Shingled Roof (Red Cedar)

thomop

Hi guys, what I have is problem.

I need to waterproof a west red cedar shingled roof that is quite new in construction.

The problem is, when the roof was constructed, it was not built at a steep enough pitch and now the roof is constantly taking in water through the shingles.

The owners want a solution that will allow them to;

A. Keep their roof and not have to replace.

B. Have a clear coloured membrane or waterproofing agent applied so that they keep their cedar colour scheme.

The building is very prestigious and the area is very large and so a thorough solution is needed.

Is there a membrane can be applied?

Your thoughts and hints would be appreciated.

Here is pic to get an idea of pitch. I hope it worked.

Download Attachment: icon_gif.gif shingle roof pitch.gif

470 Bytes

If a cedar shingled roof is taking on water it was installed improperly.

The only solution is to remove the shingles and install new ones properly. If it's a "prestigious" building, then that solution is even more important.

I suppose, as an alternative, you could just cover the roof with blue tarps.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

I ment to say that the roof has NOT got a steep enough pitch to allow for proper water run off.

Your right though, a "prestigious" building should be repaired properly.

The building is about 92 squares. Took 3 months to lay shingles with quite an expense. I suppose there is no other way.

Big design fault.

cheers,

Hi,

Please re-save the photo as a jpeg and then rename the file without any spaces or special figures and reattach it and it will display.

I agree with Jim, there is no solution other than to do it right. You can download a free copy of the Cedar Bureau's shake and shingle installation manual at the link below.

http://www.cedarbureau.org/installation ... manual.pdf

There is a low slope technique but in order to fix that roof now and use shingles on a low pitched roof you'd need to remove the cover and then install a latticework of nailers over a bituminous membrane and the do the cover over.

I'm just curious; how in the world could a roofer take three months to install a cover and then in all of that time never once realize that the roof was below the minimum allowable pitch - especially down under where jobs that large are usually monitored by professional surveyors?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Against my better judgment, I looked up some products for you. The first link is a product that allegedly works on a wood shingle roof. The second is a whole search string of products.

http://www.elastomericroofcoating.com/

http://www.google.com/search?q=clear+ro ... ss&ie=&oe=

I can understand the spot you're in with an owner who has unrealistic expectations; but if you attempt to use this spray on acrylic stuff you'd better have a lawyer draw up a full disclaimer/release of liability advising the client that it's your recommendation that he re-shingle the roof properly; and that you're applying the stuff only because he refuses to accept reality.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Apparantly, her son is a builder and did the whole thing. Obviously he stuffed up and so did the shingler.

Yep. Not much to say beyond that, other than to reiterate that no elastomeric or other prophylactic sealer is going to do anything other than create more problems than what there already are.

I wish the picture would post; I want to see a prestigious house.

Yeah us assies are'nt very articulate! [:-graduat [:-thumbu]

Don't kid yourself. Americans love Australians and love your country even though we haven't been there.

The retailers figured that out years ago. If you could see the success of television commercials and infomercials here where the folks selling stuff are Aussies, you'd know what I'm talking about.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Yeah us assies are'nt very articulate! [:-graduat [:-thumbu]

Don't kid yourself. Americans love Australians and love your country even though we haven't been there.

kurt Posted - Sep 30 2010 : 7:16:03 PM

It's true. I know lots of folks, including me, that think about Australia as a paradise.

That's why we call it Oz.

Yeah, tell your clients to crack a couple of beers and throw a few more shrimps on the barbie. If these last few years are any indication, it ain't gonna rain anytime soon. [:(] [:)]

If these last few years are any indication, it ain't gonna rain anytime soon. [:(] [:)]

Yes......has anyone else read the Jared Diamond book "Collapse"...?.

Australian agriculture faces some very daunting situations relating to soil conditions and irregular precipitation.