Google AdWords Classroom

Terence McCann

• 4 weeks later...

I got a free $100.00 coupon and signed up for AdWords. That was a month ago, and not one bloody hit. My account still has a hundred bucks in it.

'Course my site typically shows up in the top three or four results when people are looking for someone like me, so the AdWords wasn't really necessary.

I actually never click on the Sponsored Ads, because I know they're paid for.

I agree John. Paid for a couple of listings a long time ago. Hadn't ever got around to trying the Good Adwords though i got the same coupon. When I'm clicking around for something, I seldom use the sponsored ads. Though if you want to see some funny stuff, use that top paid ad on the search.

You HAVE climbed the rankings. You got someone good working for you.

Click to Enlarge
tn_20101213192520_lkhi.jpg

87.43 KB

I agree John. Paid for a couple of listings a long time ago. Hadn't ever got around to trying the Good Adwords though i got the same coupon. When I'm clicking around for something, I seldom use the sponsored ads. Though if you want to see some funny stuff, use that top paid ad on the search.

You HAVE climbed the rankings. You got someone good working for you.

Click to Enlarge
tn_20101213192520_lkhi.jpg

87.43 KB

There's a certain individual we both know who uses AdWords, and my feelings for this person are well known to you. I realize it's stupid and puerile, but I derive tremendous pleasure from clicking on the guy's ad several times in a row, fully aware that each time I do so, I'm extracting two bits from his pocket.

Yes, folks who run ads pay per click. However, your placement and cost have several different factors. Google's everything revolves around relativity. They promote the good and damn the bad. That's how you become a world powerhouse in business with no tangible product to sell.

Let's say 10 people are running ad's with the keywords "best HI"

The guy that's paying the most may not necessarily be in the #1 spot. It all is based on your ad's CTR (Click through rate). CTR is based on clicks vs impressions. Your CTR is a % of the two. Google awards the ad that does the best (meaning most clicks) by placing it higher in the list, for less money. This is not out the of goodness of their hearts. If there are 10 ad's and one of those ad's get's a much higher click through rate, it would only make sense to place it higher so more people will click on it. More clicks = more money for Google. Which usually means the #1 is more relative than the others.

So when you click on your competitors link, you may cost them a few bucks now, but all you are doing is padding their CTR, and upping the chances they will hit the #1 for less than you or anyone else. It's Google's way of trying to keep everyone honest.

It's funny, everyone I talk to about Google, they all say they NEVER click on the ad's. Yet Google only made 23 billion in 09 from Adwords. Someone's clicking them....

Geeze Ben. I didn't realize your reading comprehension was so low.

It's Chad and John, (and other people just like them) clicking away like crazy!

Nothing directed to you Erby, just a general statement about how Adwords works. I'm fairly certain there is way more to it than I understand.[:-graduat

And yes, I am a product of Kentucky Public School Systems, so it's not my fault.[:-monkeyd