No tile shower, I'm going crazy!

fabwash

Today I had the first inspection, which was framing, plumbing and electrical. I took the opportunity to discuss this waterproof product with the inspector. His reaction was basically that he was glad I made my homework, that I had documentation, and that he would call the company and talk to them then make a final decision. He told me that if this mix is okay, it might require a vapor barrier (kerdi membrane or equivalent), and the best paint would be an epoxy that is used for marine paints. His only concern was that the company mentions the UBC from 1997, which is kinda old. I think that as you all said, if the homeowner does his homework, the inspector appreciates it. I will keep you posted !

If you get out in front of most muni guys, they're not going to stand you your way. Most of them are just looking for defensible information.

I forget what the pan design is. All the discussion has been about the walls. Are you going with a basic mortar bed, vinyl pan liner, and shower drain receptor?

Or, are you doing a modified Kerdi system?

• 5 months later...

Here is the result.

The shower pan is standard. There is tile in the pan to make it easy to clean. On top of the tile is a teak mat.

The walls are made of:

1) Tar paper

2) Hardibacker

3) 3 coats of the Izonil/Mix waterproof solution

4) 1 coat swimming pool primer

5) 2 coats wimming pool paint

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011730141426_bathroom.jpg

27.17 KB

• 6 months later...