Steel in mortar joint

Inspectorjoe

That's about as much as is visible. They are in a few randomly occurring areas. Of course, they're only visible because the mortar popped off. Who knows what's beneath the intact areas.

On another note, aside from the fact that you couldn't easily remove the mortar to repoint those spots, I'd think that long term, the steel would continue to rust and cause problems.

That's about as much as is visible. They are in a few randomly occurring areas. Of course, they're only visible because the mortar popped off. Who knows what's beneath the intact areas.

On another note, aside from the fact that you couldn't easily remove the mortar to repoint those spots, I'd think that long term, the steel would continue to rust and cause problems.

I occasionally see distinct rust lines in the mortar of brick veneer, but I've never seen it cause a serious problem. I don't usually see it coming apart like it is in your pictures.