Return pump

Darren

Yesterday's house had a 2005 steam boiler installed.

There was a separate, older floor mounted pump that the owner stated was installed to help the return condensate/water get back to the boiler.

This is a first for me- anything I should know about this or tell my client. The client was a little concerned about the warning labels.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201122382432_Summit%20044.jpg

40.92 KB

Condensate Recovery Equipment

Condensate recovery allows you to use all of the valuable Btu within the steam system. Depending on the pressure, condensate leaving a trap contains approximately 20% of the heat energy transferred at the boiler in the form of sensible heat.

Condensate recovery systems help you reduce three tangible costs of producing steam:

Fuel/energy costs

Boiler water make-up and sewage treatment

Boiler water chemical treatment

The workhorses in any condensate recovery system are condensate pumps. Their job is to move condensate or other liquids from low points, low pressures or vacuum spaces to an area of higher elevation or pressure.

Armstrong can provide complete engineered condensate pumping system solutions, allowing you to take advantage of this most fundamental of energy management practices. Single pump capacities range from 350 lb/hr to 73,000 lb/hr (158 kg/hr to 33112 kg/hr), depending on application conditions. You may also depend on Armstrong for complete custom pre-piped packages, ASME packages, mechanical and electric pumps, and accessories.

Condensate return pumps are quite common in larger steam heated buildings. There is a vent on the unit that should be clear and automatic boiler fill valves are not recommended. It's possible that the boiler will overfill.

I'll bet the warnings are only to prohibit using the pump for moving flammable/explosive liquids.