Ford Transit Connect - Ideal inspection vehicle?

Inspectorjoe

. . . Is a Honda CRV a wuss-mobile? Or, is it any vehicle that's not a diesel Enviro-Mangler?

Wuss-ness has nothing to do with size. It has to do with performing its task without approaching or surpassing the upper limit of its abilities. For me, the CRV fills that bill nicely, as would a Forester or a RAV.

The Transit Connect, it seems to me, is well suited to delivering baguettes around town. While I'm sure that you could put a 28' ladder on it, I doubt that it would perform well with it.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My sturdy Gorilla ladder is 5'-8" and fits inside the bed of my '06 RAM 1500. I've been looking into the HRR, Mini-Cooper Clubman, Kia Soul, Subaru Forester, misc. crossovers, and smaller trucks (though mileage on smaller trucks does not offer much more in mpg.) Not into Scion toasters or Ed "Too Tall" Jones type vans.

Would flat roof cars or wagons look dorky and be considered unprofessional with a ladder rack & ladder on top? A lot of service companies use HRR's but it's kind of ho-hum to me. Looking for 20 mpg or better vs. 15 mpg.

A lot of service companies use HRR's but it's kind of ho-hum to me. Looking for 20 mpg or better vs. 15 mpg.

I'm runnin' an HHR with a 28' ladder on top and 2 other ladders inside. Sometimes I carry a 32' and sometimes a 10' stepladder. I do very little highway and I'm averaging 26 mpg.

A lot of service companies use HRR's but it's kind of ho-hum to me. Looking for 20 mpg or better vs. 15 mpg.

I'm runnin' an HHR with a 28' ladder on top and 2 other ladders inside. Sometimes I carry a 32' and sometimes a 10' stepladder. I do very little highway and I'm averaging 26 mpg.

About two years ago I had the unexpected pleasure of renting an HHR from the airport, while visiting my folks in Florida. I LOVED that thing from the second I took it out on the road! It was deceptively roomy and pretty peppy. I was impressed. It has a retro look that you either love or hate. Being an old fart, I liked the look, while my daughter thought it was ugly. [:-tophat]

Unfortunately, I'm resigned to NEVER be in debt again, so unless I can pay cash, I won't be owning one any time soon.

Just the same, I really liked the HHR. [:-thumbu]

I'm currently shopping for another inspection vehicle for myself. I was driving a 2007 GMC Sierra (basic work truck) that worked well for me. We just hired a new pest control tech so I switched my truck over to the pest control company for him to drive. I'm driving my personal F350 diesel dually right now and lets just say that it is not the ideal inspection vehicle. I don't need 440hp and 760fptq to do inspections with. It is great for towing my big travel trailer though. I will probably purchase another basic work truck like the one I had or an F150 but the HHR has crossed my mind. I don't do the debt thing either so I always buy used and pay cash.

I'm currently shopping for another inspection vehicle for myself.

To my surprise, I was coming home from the Doctor's office yesterday - an unusually sunny and warm day for this time of year - and I found that this old workhorse is still for sale.

They need to park it somewhere else or sell it quickly now that summer is here or I'm liable to bite.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

About two years ago I had the unexpected pleasure of renting an HHR from the airport, while visiting my folks in Florida. I LOVED that thing from the second I took it out on the road! It was deceptively roomy and pretty peppy. I was impressed. It has a retro look that you either love or hate. Being an old fart, I liked the look, while my daughter thought it was ugly. [:-tophat]

Unfortunately, I'm resigned to NEVER be in debt again, so unless I can pay cash, I won't be owning one any time soon.

Just the same, I really liked the HHR. [:-thumbu]

My wife thinks it's ugly too. I think it's just mildly goofy.

I've only driven full sized vans and SUVs for this gig. For personal use, I only drive cars the size of battleships. When I purchased the HHR in '08, when gas prices spiked, I was sure I'd be cursing it daily for not being able to keep up with what I do and all the stuff I drag around. For almost 3 years now, I'm still amazed at how it has handled everything.

The HHR design was based on the '49 Suburban.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201164174156_chevy-suburban-1740_hz12.jpg

45.52 KB

Bill:

How do you carry a 28' (let alone a 32') ladder on your HHV?

It's really no problem at all, other than smacking my head on the ladder the first day. I'm used to much taller vehicles.
Doesn't the hatch door hit it when opened?
The rear window wiper arm bumps the ladder, but it's almost fully open.
What kind of rack do you have?
I just added Thule cross bars to the stock roof rails.
Do you have a picture?
Click to Enlarge
tn_2011652910_GEDC0595.jpg

67.06 KB

Would flat roof cars or wagons look dorky and be considered unprofessional with a ladder rack & ladder on top?

I've been doing "dorky" for the last 6 years or so and, while I've had clients say they weren't expecting someone to turn up in a Mini, I've never had anyone say it looked "unprofessional". In practice, I rarely use the LG as I seem to manage to get onto most roofs using nothing but the Telesteps I carry in the trunk.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif troll2.jpg

217.18 KB

Not for everyone though. The back seat sucks, it's useless in deeper snow due to very low front clearance and while I can get 33 mpg on a freeway (without the ladder), it's just a little too much fun to drive hardish around town. I only average around 21 mpg overall unless I have long trips.

You should see it with the kayak on top!

Driving with 2/3 of an extension ladder unsupported at the front is unsafe, regardless of what vehicle is under it.

Um, it's less than half of the length of the ladder.

What would happen to that ladder in a head-on crash?
The same thing as that ladder on the roof rack of most any vehicle. Look in the parking lot of a Tri-State meeting. You,ll see 28'-32' ladders on all kinds of cars and SUVs.

What would happen to that ladder in a head-on crash?[/color]

Not a whole lot. The other day I watched an episode of myth busters where they tried to reproduce a movie segment where a surfboard on top of a ford explorer breaks loose during a 40mph head-on and goes through another vehicles windshield and decapitates the driver. It wouldn't work. The surfboard kept flying off the roof and landing directly in front of the vehicle instead of flying through the air as they'd expected.

I don't think it's any more dangerous than 95% of the painters' trucks I see out there with mountains of ladders stacked up on top.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I don't see that in the picture.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201165122758_a.jpg

26.16 KB

The same thing as that ladder on the roof rack of most any vehicle. Look in the parking lot of a Tri-State meeting. You,ll see 28'-32' ladders on all kinds of cars and SUVs.

Yes, I've seen it - and I thought to myself, there's a tragedy waiting to happen.

What would happen to that ladder in a head-on crash?[/color]

Not a whole lot. The other day I watched an episode of myth busters where they tried to reproduce a movie segment where a surfboard on top of a ford explorer breaks loose during a 40mph head-on and goes through another vehicles windshield and decapitates the driver. It wouldn't work. The surfboard kept flying off the roof and landing directly in front of the vehicle instead of flying through the air as they'd expected.

The ladder wouldn't have to fly through the air. In a panic stop, the nose of the vehicle will be down to begin with. With the ladder already near the front bumper, it would only take a few feet of movement before it's into the cabin of a high vehicle.

Well, it's a head on collision. Lots of bad things are going to happen. The ladder would be the least of my concerns.

Anytime I've ever so much as bumped something with my ladders, it always rips off the racks. It'd be hard for me to imagine it spearing the oncoming car.

I don't see that in the picture.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201165122758_a.jpg

26.16 KB

Yes, I've seen it - and I thought to myself, there's a tragedy waiting to happen.

Joe, if more than half the ladder extended beyond the front cross-bar, it would teeter onto my hood every time I removed the straps. Your yellow lines added to my picture are not in the correct place. There's something called visual perspective that you may have forgotten or are ignoring.

It seems like you're makin' stuff up... Car Jousting! The 28' ladder is 14' retracted. Exactly 6'-6" extends beyond the rack. The end of the ladder is 26" back from the front of the car. In a collision, the other cars windshield would have to be more than 26" into my car! The ladder would not be a factor in the certain fatal injuries.

I stand corrected.

Because of you, Joe, I've spent most of the day figuring out how to position my ladder so it would have exactly the precise speed and trajectory to frighten--but not harm--some knucklehead who pulled out in front of me.

But now, I realize, my calculations were all for nought . . .