altered equipment

Jim Baird

Local utility does not like some listed equipment, and rejects it. One design is an over-under meter base-disco fed from underground.

Utility wants minimum 3" width inside the metal shroud that is on the left side, separating the utility's "lateral" from the body of the disco enclosure.

Local electrician, when I kicked back his installation of the verboten equipment, flew a little hot on the phone and said he'd "fix it".

I was called back to site and found he had "jacklegged" the panel, cutting the inner cover, and sliding the separator shroud over to get 2 1/2" width.

Now, by altering the equipment, he has lost the UL listing. My call to the utility's engineers has not been returned.

Comments?

Click to Enlarge
tn_20113811757_HPIM2909_resize.jpg

31.13 KB

The enclosure has been modified. To my knowledge, it has not been tested and approved in this condition. 2 1/2" clearance is now provided.

They are the ones who have the issue and are making the decision. Describe what you see and let them do what they are going to do. We all know what they will kick it back.

Why are you involved? Are you the muni?

I am the AHJ.

I told the electrician that all I see now is a piece of altered equipment. I advised him to get utility to help him convince me it is OK now.

He just called and said they told him it would be three days before an engineer could get to him (really?). He has installed another box.

Kinda off topic, but when I was building my shop, my local utilities required a 3" riser. I had already installed a 2 1/2, when the AHJ showed up, he informed that they would not connect to anything but a 3". I was not happy because I had cut the 2 1/2. Couldn't take it back.

The guys at the local electrical supply couldn't believe I had to buy 3" riser for a 100amp service. Kinda like throwing a hotdog down a hallway. [;)]

• 2 weeks later...

Kinda off topic, but when I was building my shop, my local utilities required a 3" riser. I had already installed a 2 1/2, when the AHJ showed up, he informed that they would not connect to anything but a 3". I was not happy because I had cut the 2 1/2. Couldn't take it back.

The guys at the local electrical supply couldn't believe I had to buy 3" riser for a 100amp service. Kinda like throwing a hotdog down a hallway. [;)]

If you are in a area that follows EUSERC standards (Like PG&E in Northern & Central California) a 3" conduit is required for UG service.

BTW, if a piece of equipment has been altered, IMO it should be called out.