Masonite Hardboard Siding

kurt

I'm working w/ a customer on their (messed up) old "stucco" hardboard siding. I have no idea if it is Masonite or not, but suspect that it is.

What was the products proper name? I'm also researching the class action stuff. Anyone got any opinions?

I know all about the performance, installation, and repairs related to this stuff; I installed a ton of it for builders back in the late '70's and knew it was crap back then. I just need relevant info to make my report better.

I've got links buried somewhere in my bookmarks, but can't seem to find what I'm looking for. I figure Mike's probably got this one wired.....

Hi Kurt,

Masonite had two products - Masonite Hardboard Siding and Omni-Wood Lap Siding. The Omni-Wood product consisted of a thin (3/32" thick) layer of textured hardboard bonded to the face of OSB.

I don't recall ever reading/seeing anything about a Masonite simulated stucco product. MaxiTile did have a Fiesta Stucco panel at one time. It came in 1/4, 5/16, and 7/16 in. thich panels that were 4ft. wide and either 8, 9 or 10ft. long. MaxiTile is a cement fiber product but is much lighter than HardiBoard and comes in a variety of textures.It's pretty lightweight stuff and weighs less than 2-1/2 lbs a square foot. Could it be the MaxiTile product?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Kurt,

It sounds like one of the Masonite X-90 products. Chris posted the ICC report for the stuff I remember.

They only stopped making it recently, maybe two or three years ago.

If it's Masonite, it'll have a screen-like texture on the back and, if you can remove an entire piece, you'll find either the word "Masonite," the stylized letter "M" or "X-90" printed on the back.

It was crap for that time period, but it was better than what came along in the late '80's.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm looking to replace a few(4) bad Masonite Hardborad siding pieces. I have settled a claim against Masonite but I can not find ANY of there product which would allow me to replace these few bad boards. Does anyone have a contact out there? I'm located in Pittsburgh Pa.

Thanks in advance,

Jon G.

I'm looking to replace a few(4) bad Masonite Hardborad siding pieces. I have settled a claim against Masonite but I can not find ANY of there product which would allow me to replace these few bad boards. Does anyone have a contact out there? I'm located in Pittsburgh Pa.

Thanks in advance,

Jon G.

I think that LP is the only one still making hardboard siding. Masonite stopped producing hardboard siding several years back. I doubt that you will be able to find the same pattern to match what you now have. Hardiplank would be a good option, but again it wont match the Masonite brand.

I would check my local Home Depot, Lowe's and or 84 Lumber stores to see if they have. If they don't have it, you will just have to deal with what is now being sold.

Jon,

I am in Michigan, but there is a lumber yard in central Michigan that had some back stock of various types. Google up - "Big L Lumber."

I found some early 60's plastic siding there a couple years ago.

worth a try and a trip 'cause the stuff is scarce.

• 3 months later...

Hi Jon,

Did You find any Masonite Stuccato Panels? I need them too.

Tks, Norv

Thanks in advance,

Jon G.

I think that LP is the only one still making hardboard siding. Masonite stopped producing hardboard siding several years back. I doubt that you will be able to find the same pattern to match what you now have. Hardiplank would be a good option, but again it wont match the Masonite brand.

I would check my local Home Depot, Lowe's and or 84 Lumber stores to see if they have. If they don't have it, you will just have to deal with what is now being sold.