1940 home ceiling height?

Robert Jones

My clients were there and young first time buyers. I voiced my concerns about a few things rather strongly. I went so far as to say that when they replace the roof and underlying framing, they could raise the ceiling at that time. I also joked that it should help with heating costs. When finishing up I told my clients that it was very important to get some estimates for repair as the costs could add up rather quickly. Beautiful HUD home. Just needs new siding, a new service panel/lateral, roof and truss system, insulation(which had been taken over by rats), you get the idea. But hey, it was priced right at 70k[:-censore

• 2 weeks later...

I looked at house a while back that was selling for 48k. The girl working at the hot dog stand at a miniature golf place was buying it. Her boyfriend was there during the inspection and kept acting like they could handle the problems I was seeing. Couldn't find access to the crawl. Bummer. I was talking to the neighbor and she just saw a rat run across the street and go underneath the pit bulls house.

Was there a minimum height requirement for ceilings in the 40's? The reason I ask is the home I inspected today had a ceiling height of about 6' maybe 6'2". Home was a rambler built in 1941.

I don't know about a requirement, but I've inspected a whole lotta houses from that time period and none had 6'2" ceilings. If the ceiling height is original, it's a anomaly.

Are you sure that someone didn't drop the ceilings in the '70s? That was very commonly done to save on heating costs.

Hi Robert,

Is it possible that a new ceiling was added below the original. I've looked at a lot of '20's and 30's homes where plastered ceilings were coming apart; so, instead of fixing them, the owners framed up a new ceiling lower than the original and hung a new drywall ceiling. It's wasn't until I went into the attic, rooted around in the insulation and found the plaster and lath that I realized what had been done. There were still a lot of houses being plastered in the '40's.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

• 2 months later...

Was there a minimum height requirement for ceilings in the 40's? The reason I ask is the home I inspected today had a ceiling height of about 6' maybe 6'2". Home was a rambler built in 1941.

I don't know about a requirement, but I've inspected a whole lotta houses from that time period and none had 6'2" ceilings. If the ceiling height is original, it's a anomaly.

Are you sure that someone didn't drop the ceilings in the '70s? That was very commonly done to save on heating costs.

that would be my buess also