Testo imager in Canada?

normw

Hi,

I've been doing research on an entry-level thermal imager, I finally decide to go with Testo 875-1, but I saw lots of 875-1i online from US for a couple hundred dollars less, does anyone know if they are the same? I can't find any information on the "-1i" model on Testo's website, and have no idea about what that "i" stands for.

I'm in Vancouver, BC, Canada, from what I read, I'm suppose to buy from a local dealer, which is what I prefer, instead of from US. But I'm having a hard time finding any dealer in BC, so I'm wondering if anyone have information or experience on that.

Thank for your help.

Norm

I don't have any experience with the Testo, but I did go through something similar a few years ago. Because thermal imagers have the potential and capacity to be used for military use they fall under the International Trafficking in Arms (ITAR) Act. Because of this they can't be shipped across the border to the end user. I had to get documentation showing what I use the thing for just to be able to cross the border with it.

FWIW I bought a Fluke from their Canadian distributor - ITM Instruments.

-B

I don't have any experience with the Testo, but I did go through something similar a few years ago. Because thermal imagers have the potential and capacity to be used for military use they fall under the International Trafficking in Arms (ITAR) Act. Because of this they can't be shipped across the border to the end user. I had to get documentation showing what I use the thing for just to be able to cross the border with it.

FWIW I bought a Fluke from their Canadian distributor - ITM Instruments.

-B

Hi, Brad,

Thanks for the information, I didn't know a thermal camera is considered a weapon of some destruction now, I always thought of using it for non-destructive purposes only. I guess my idea of buying one online from US and smuggle it cross the border is out of the window, oh, no, don't like to have a weapon's charge on me, I could loose my license.

I run into ITM instruments during my search, along with 8 of their affiliates, of which make them look less legit. But since you bought one from them, guess they are ok.

U.S. export restrictions on thermal imaging equipment are not uniform--some is in the "could be militarized" category and some is not. You should be able to get almost any level of equipment in Canada that you want.

That seems to make sense. A couple years ago when I was in the market for an imager, all the American distributors quoted ITAR as a reason for not shipping to me. A call to Customs & Border Patrol told me that I'd need documentation to cross the border with the imager in my posession or I'd risk prosecution. Chances are that the authorities are now realizing that home inspectors don't pose much threat!

I have since crossed the border with the imager, but I hold a visa allowing me to work in the US as well as documentation explaining why I carry it.

-B

Thanks Brad for the information. I sent them an email regarding to their 875-KIT listed on their website without any descriptions. That's two days ago, still haven't heard back from them yet. I guess I'm still expecting some sort of service for this kind of high margin tools. Well, I'll probably just shut up and buy it, fingers crossed for getting the correct item in a few weeks.

I just got back in this morning after being out of town for a couple days. In my waiting mail there was a flyer from ITM - they have the Testo 875-1 for $2395. Buy it and they'll give you a fibre optic scope and an anemometer/light meter.

-B

• 2 weeks later...

My order of Testo 875-1i arrived this morning from ITM's Calgary office, pretty fast, shipped via Purolator.

Only one problem: the battery seemed died. After I plugged it in, it showed external power, instead of charging. When I unplugged it after 8 hours, it's dead as a door nail.

I'm just wondering how you guys deal with this kind of issues? Through Testo or it's distributor?

Thanks again for your help.