Protimeter repair/replacement

David Meiland

My Surveymaster has become intermittent in scan mode. Used to do it once in a while, now it does it a lot... reading of 0 when placed on a surface (i.e. drywall), with a "real" reading flashing on the display briefly every several seconds. There's no discernable pattern.

I got ahold of GE and they say they no longer repair or calibrate these. They seem prepared to replace mine for $325, which is a rip since it's less than 2 years old and lightly used.

Any thoughts? Anyone fixed theirs?

We bought a new SM a year ago. Occasionally it goes on the fritz and Yung brings it over to me to complain about it. I usually hold both buttons down for three or four seconds and get the thing to do a hard boot and it clears right up. Note: I have no idea whether it's actually doing a hard boot, but it seems to work.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Looks like I got lucky here. Heard from the GE person that these units are 24-month warranty. I was too stupid and lazy to look into that in the first place, and assumed that like all other "stuff" it would have some limp 6-month or maybe 12-month warranty. If your is not seeming right, and it's approaching it's 2nd birthday, it might be worth filing for a replacement.

• 5 months later...

Yes, I'm trying to remember if I sent in that warranty card....I hope so..

In the U.S., manfacturers can't make your warranty coverage dependent on sending in a card. The item should be covered regardless.

The card is mostly for marketing, but it also makes it easier for the manufacturer to reach you if there's a recall.

Since starting this thread, I've had my replacement unit replaced. The first replacement showed the battery as dead no matter what, so I inquired about that and they said to send it in. The second replacement does the same, and also won't show a scan reading below about 75. I think these are buggy units, and am going to try a Delmhorst next time.

Should I blacklist Surveymaster?

Marc

There are an awful lot of them out there that are performing just fine. A thread like this will naturally tend to highlight the failures.

Personally, I'm a big fan of Wagner's moisture meters. My little L606 has been going strong since 1997 without a single hiccup. And they're made in the USA, if that matters.

I've had mine since 1989.......spooky, but no problems. They've gone through multitudes of design changes, so anything is possible now. I don't like the new one's very much; they're not as nice as mine, but I've used several other folks units that work fine.

Globalized manufacturing creates problems with quality control; there's no way to know if a particular mfg. run is good or bad until there's several thousand in use and info gets fed back. There's no such thing as made in America, or anywhere else; maybe assembled in America with parts from all over the world.