Gas fireplace valve

Well That's what I figured, and indicated as much, but I told them I'd check it out and confirm.

It's in the ceiling, and not only out of reach (about a foot), but no key.

Owner is recently deceased, so its quite possible the adult children (not present) took the key to prevent use.

Well That's what I figured, and indicated as much, but I told them I'd check it out and confirm.

It's in the ceiling, and not only out of reach (about a foot), but no key.

Owner is recently deceased, so its quite possible the adult children (not present) took the key to prevent use.

Any gas key will work. They can get one at a fireplace shop. If the valve is in the ceiling, they might want to get one of the long 15" ones.

Hi Joe,

I've seen them mounted in floors, in walls, in bookcases, even in the brickwork of fireplaces surrounds, and now heard of one used above a ceiling.

Begging your pardon, but nowhere in Dante's instructions does it say that it must be installed in a floor.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

They must have used good "stick-um" to hold it in place in the ceiling ... many of those are simply loose in the wall and just quickly pushed into the sheetrock down here. :(

Depends on how deep they're placed. Most of the one's I see have the bottom of the floor plate threaded so that it can be screwed onto the valve.

It works great when the valve is where it's supposed to be, but when it's too deep in the wall they just kind of hang there. I've never seen one in the ceiling myself; but I bet some silicone or acrylic caulk allowed to dry just long enough to make it tacky but not skim would hold one.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike