Help Me Please #2

TimDever

I know it will look terrible but in the mean time what about an L shapped piece of alum on top of the decking boards. A temporary fix that will likely become permanent because I have no cash to correct it.

I have not seen any new water since last year. I think Ice and snow is largly the issue (not much this year). The water was minimal in the unfinished area. I only saw a little around one of the windows on the finished side on two occasions.

jerry,mike,kurt,jim,mike

The new question. What would you do if you had no cash to speak of and had this mess on your hands?

Thanks

This that house on Tall Grass? If so, I can see why you have no cash, seeing what you paid for it back in '09. But what does that have to do with no drip caps? They forget those on your house as well?

I know it will look terrible but in the mean time what about an L shapped piece of alum on top of the decking boards. A temporary fix that will likely become permanent because I have no cash to correct it.

I have not seen any new water since last year. I think Ice and snow is largly the issue (not much this year). The water was minimal in the unfinished area. I only saw a little around one of the windows on the finished side on two occasions.

Oh, you're still on that; I thought you also had drip cap problemos. I suggest you hire a good home inspector to figure out what needs doing.

jerry,mike,kurt,jim,mike

The new question. What would you do if you had no cash to speak of and had this mess on your hands?

Thanks

Hold a series of blood parties to raise the cash.

We used to do it in the Army if we had a troop who was in financial straits due to a new baby or unanticipated expenses like a blown engine or transmission, etc..

We'd invite as many folks as we could to a blood party. Cost of admission - the receipt from the blood bank times and dated during the times of the day the party treasurer was at the door of the blood bank.

Everyone would converge on the local blood bank, go in, sell a pint of blood, collect their nice crisp $10 bill and drop if off with the party treasurer on the way out the door. The treasurer would initial their receipt. With the funds collected, we'd buy enough booze to keep the number of "doners" appropriately lubricated, break out a couple of huge barbecue grills, get a side of beef or a pig (sometimes we'd ask the MP game wardens to "find" a deer lying along Longstreet that had gotten hit by a car [;)] and we'd throw one helluva bash. Folks could bring a date and/or friend or two and we'd pass the hat for the troop a couple of times during each party. After paying for the party stuff, the balance went to the guy in need.

When I was a slick sleeve freshly arrived from jump school and had no money for a deposit and first months and needed to get my wife moved down with our new baby they threw two parties that paid my deposit and paid my rent and put food on the table for three months. Later in my career, we did it for troops in my office or platoon.

Don't know if it would work in todays P.C. world. You'd probably have to get a permit, pay an enjoyment tax and there'd be a bunch of protesters on the front lawn squawking about anything they could think to complain about.

Hey, you guys stop scowling and shaking your heads. He asked and I suggested the first thing that popped into my head.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

P.S.

Is this home part of a development where all of the homes are built by the same guy who used the same moron of a deck contractor? If so, you might have the makings of a mini class action there. First consult with a lawyer is usually a freebee, check it out!

jerry,mike,kurt,jim,mike

Thanks

(Editor's Note: Refer to this thread for the original question:

https://www.inspectorsjournal.com/forum ... C_ID=15597)

I'd do what Kurt suggested in the other thread. Install some temporary footings, posts, & girders to support the inboard side of the deck independently from the house.

Then do some reconnaisance. Remove siding to expose all rot damage and replace what needs replacing.

Then do what you suggested in the previous thread. Cut the diagonal floor boards 12" back from, and parallel to, the house. Pull up the first course of siding above the ledger. Install ledger flashing, interleaving it properly with the WRB under the siding. Use Vycor or something similar if necessary. Put back the siding. Lay some new deck boards across the 12" gap - use blocking below as necessary.

Then ensure that the ledger is well secured to the studs. I like Simpson SDS screws for this.

Once everything's done, remove the temporary supports.

If you do most of the grunt work yourself, it shouldn't cost too much - certainly less than $5,000 anyway. Maybe even $2,000.

If money's tight, do it a little bit at a time.

Are you married? Did you know that surrogate mothers can get $30,000 for a full term pregnancy?