1976 Sub panel

Mark P

Does anyone know what the NEC said around 1976 about haveing the grounds and neutrals seperated in a sub panel? Were the rules the same as today?

Here is what I have the main disconnect is in a bedroom closet at one end of the house and there are two panels in a utility closet in another part of the house. Since they are not anywhere close I consider the distribution panel as sub panels - but there are wired as main panels with all the ground / neutrals on the same bar.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201233083951_20120329_133.jpg

74.94 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20123308414_20120329_147.jpg

42.18 KB

Does anyone know what the NEC said around 1976 about haveing the grounds and neutrals seperated in a sub panel? Were the rules the same as today?

Essentially the same, yes. It's wrong now. It was wrong then. It was wrong decades before then.

Here is what I have the main disconnect is in a bedroom closet at one end of the house and there are two panels in a utility closet in another part of the house. Since they are not anywhere close I consider the distribution panel as sub panels - but there are wired as main panels with all the ground / neutrals on the same bar.

They're wrong. There's not much else to say.

They should be separated in the sub panels. Also, not sure when it was required, but the disco shouldn't be in a clothes closet either, should it?

in south carolina it was frequently placed in master bedroom closets, til it moved to on the stairs to second floor, then moved to the attached garage every 10 years or so it changed