Hardie Backer

I've got a condo association that just covered all their buildings with new Hardie Board.

Of course, now there's folks that want to hang stuff on the siding (the odd planter, memorabilia, etc.). I've gone through the site, but can't find any recommendation or guidance about hanging things on the siding.

I have a hard time thinking it would be a problem to drill a hole and use a hanger, touch it up with caulk, etc., but it'd be nice to have a reference.

Anyone know anything?

I doubt that you'll find much from Hardie, and if you do, it'll be along the lines of installing a mounting block, complete with flashing, and running the Hardie Panel all around it.

Is this a rain screen system?

Is there sheathing under the panels or are the panels the sheathing?

Fiber cement is weak. I had a hard time nailing it according to Hardi's specs without breaking it recently when I put up about 1,000 SF of it. There's gaps behind the planks once its installed. Will snap much sooner than masonite. Structure needs to be brought out to the surface via solid blocks for attaching things. Exactly what Jim said.

Marc

Hi Kurt,

Folks around here nail address plaques, name plates, etc. to Hardiplank all the time. It's generally not a problem if they use a fastener that can reach the studs behind the substrate as long as whatever it is doesn't weigh too much; but stuff like a flower box full of soil would probably need to be anchored to flashed mounting blocks.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Sheathing under the siding.

You both are thinking what I'm thinking......designed blocking and flashing. This is a huge ass summer home community over in new buffalo....they all have their flotsam and stuff to hang.....can hear the moans now.....

I'm sure it wouldn't be compliant, but what about making hangers that work like roof jacks?

I'm imagining a flat hanger with a pair of barbs at the top. You slip it up under the upper lap until the barb engages with the top of the lower lap. Then you hang whatever you want from it. There'd have to be a weight limit. If, at any point, it looks like they're causing a problem, you could easily get rid of them.