Bulldog Pushmatic panel questions

In-Depth

Today' inspection had an old 100 amp Bulldog Pushmatic panel that I have a couple of questions about.

At the top of the panel they tapped off the main lugs for a 60 amp breaker for an A/C and there was one other wire that went to a old fuse for a furnace. This is wrong, right? You don't tap off the main lugs, right.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201251223243_IMGP2409%20(640x360).jpg

53.6 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201251223354_IMGP2411%20(640x360).jpg

52.18 KB

There was also a subpanel that was fed off of the 2 copper lugs at the bottom of the panel, but there was no main disconnect in the subpanel. Is this right? Does that make this a 100 amp subpanel?

Click to Enlarge
tn_201251223656_IMGP2414%20(640x360).jpg

54.06 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201251223747_IMGP2415%20(640x360).jpg

47.55 KB

I got the ground on the neutral bus in the sub covered already.

Thanks for your help,

Jim

I'm not an expert, but I know the small conductor tap at the top for the fuse panel is wrong.

There is a tap rule in the NEC which I can't quote, but the AC might not be a violation. But those lugs need to be rated for more than one conductor.

I believe the taps at the bottom for the subpanel are undersized. They need to be sized to handle the full supply, which you say is 100 amps. Or they should be protected by a breaker in the main panel. It is amateur work, no doubt.

Is there a 100 amp disconnect out by the meter?

Today' inspection had an old 100 amp Bulldog Pushmatic panel that I have a couple of questions about.

At the top of the panel they tapped off the main lugs for a 60 amp breaker for an A/C and there was one other wire that went to a old fuse for a furnace. This is wrong, right? You don't tap off the main lugs, right.

Yes, you're right. The taps are not correct.

There was also a subpanel that was fed off of the 2 copper lugs at the bottom of the panel, but there was no main disconnect in the subpanel. Is this right? Does that make this a 100 amp subpanel?

It makes it an unprotected panel. I suppose that it's capacity is limited by the size of the feeders -- what, #8 or so? -- not nearly big enough for 100 amps. They need to either feed it through a breaker, install a backfed main in the sub panel, or replace it with a main breaker panel.

It is improper because it does not protect people and equipment.

#1) The wire is not protected and can overheat because the breaker protecting it will allow a higher than rated current - causing overheating and failure.

#2) The equipment requires a breaker of a certain size to protect it from pulling a load higher than designed - which could also cause overheating, arcing, and failure of the equipment.

#3) I *believe* that the lug is only rated for one wire. ditto for safety. overheating leading to breakdown of insulation and wiring leading to arcing and yada yada yada....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...