Dryer & Bathroom Vent terminating in attic/ Mold?

bah0626

Hello all, I really would appreciate some expert advice/opinions from you all. I am currently renting a home and in the process of buying the home from current owners. I have lived there for approx. 2 years and have had very little problems with anything. However, I recently discovered that the bathroom vent and dryer vent terminate in the attic. I understand this a big no no, and that it has to be changed. Owners have agreed to have it repaired prior to closing. There is no way to vent the dryer to an lower level exterior wall because it is an interior room and the house is on slab. When I discovered the venting issues, I noticed a large amount of white looking dust in the attic. I am just concerned that it could be some sort of mold. I don't think it is, but I want to make sure before I buy it. This is the first house I've bought and I don't want to make mistake. I have attached photos for you all to see. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Click to Enlarge
tn_201251505533_photo%201.jpg

44.45 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201251505544_photo%202.jpg

39.18 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201251505557_photo%203.jpg

43.29 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20125150567_photo%204.jpg

43.13 KB

Also, would it be possible to run the vents to the nearest wall, gable end, and run them out there? Rather than going through the roof. I am not real big on cutting more holes in the roof than is necessary. Is this safe for the dryer? The owner's manual says with two 90 degree turns the vent pipe can still be a total length of 38 feet.

Kurt, besides the whtie paint, there is a fine white dust on most of the trusses and sheating. I assume this may be from the exhaust of the dryer, but I am just very nervous about mold. The good thing is that there are attic vents near where both these vents terminate, so hopefully this has helped the problem.

run the dryer vent out through the gable end. add a booster fan if needed. clean or at least check it for lint every six months of so, depending on your use. don't continue using the mylar duct materials, change it to metal.

don't worry about mold.

Get a home inspector to check the place over before closing. He will find things you don't even know about.

Your cellphone takes lousy pics in the dark. White paint may be to cover up previous staining. Get a home inspector to look at it.

All that lint needs to be removed. Lint and dust trapped in a moist place, like inside those cheap vent hoses, are places where mold will grow.

If you have a gable handy, it will work fine for venting those pipes, but make sure they install smooth metal pipe.

If they overshot white paint into the attic spaces the fine white dust is probably latex overspray that dried before it settled on the insulation. I see it all the time in all kinds of construction.

You guys really need to stop thinking "Mold." If you were around back then, think back to fifteen years ago; was anyone talking about or worrying about "toxic mold" back then? Answer - No, because "toxic mold" is something what was fabricated by the media and lawyers. There is no such thing as "toxic mold." There is only fungi - the same fungi we've lived around since man first walked on the planet, which was here long before we were. If it were so toxic we wouldn't have been able to populate the planet.

Fix the danged fans so they're venting outside and stop worrying about the mold bogeyman.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike