Deck drainage

Robert Jones

That's the same drain and grill I put in my shower. Of course, I don't have much of an issue with leaves and moss in the bathroom. The circular grill comes out (two screws) and maybe just leaving them out would be the answer(?). I guess that would depend somewhat on the gutter/drain system below and how easy it would be to clean. Another option might be to Dremel out parts of the web to make some bigger openings. You would want to make sure you aren't leaving sharp edges that are more likely to grab debris (or toes). Finally, if you Google images for "shower drain grills" you can see that there are others with different patterns that might fit (or be easier to modify).

Using a drain trench instead of a single receptor is another way of dealing with it.

I was assuming we didn't want to rip up the tiles. But, yeah, if we include anything, then there would be many ways of improving it. Of course, with no guard rail, you could just step right off the thing, land on your head, and never have to worry about it again.

This is a vacant home that we have an offer on. I believe the previous owner was intending on adding a glass type guard to the deck and ran out of money. Not much I will be able to do about the deck right away. We are going to have to rail it(we want to go cable), but those drain covers are driving me nuts. Same with the flat roof drains. Those damn pine needles:)

BTW; the deck drains empty into 2-3" abs lines.

I have similar drain caps but with the round holes. They work ok if you go out and sweep them off 2 - 3 times a month. I prefer that to watching crap go into my drain system.

My deck is fiberglass on plywood, 22 years old and good like new. Some local boat builder did a few decks like this and I've inspected a couple of others, all watertight. I am bragging about my deck, yes.

But the drains are a drag and to take Kurt's idea, how about some overflow scuppers? For when you're in Maui for 2 months? [:)]

I see those very once in a while. When a homeowner is using the deck area and keeps them swept clear they don't seem to be an issue.

I'd be more concerned with what's under the tile and whether it extends completely up and over that curb or they did like so many of the roofers do - stopped whatever it is right on top of that curb under the coping where water can drain into the structure as soon as it backs up under the coping.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Same as not wrapping the IWS behind the gutter; it'll leak in backups.

I don't get any of these exterior tile decks. If it doesn't have something like Troba or equivalent, I couldn't ever trust it.

Especially in a freezing climate. In my area, it's a pretty safe bet to say that exterior tile *never* works without Troba beneath it. And even that isn't recognized as an acceptable method by the TCNA.

Rob, does it freeze in your area?