HELP ON START UP

HELP! WE ARE DOING A START UP INSPECTION SERVICE THIS YEAR AND WE NEED SOME HELP BECAUSE WE DON'T KNOW WHAT WE DON'T KNOW YET.I HAVE A GOOD BACKGROUND IN GENERAL HOME CONSRUCTION SO WHAT TRAINING WOULD BE THE BEST? I WANT TO BE THE BEST OR I DON'T WANT TO PLAY.I RUN MY OWN BUSINESS AND HAVE 20+ YEARS IN OUT SIDE SALES SO THAT STUFF I DO KNOW.NEW MEXICO HAS NO REGULATION FOR H.I. SO DO YOU NEED E&O INSURANCE,WHAT ABOUT SOFTWARE AND TOOLS? IS THERE A CONVENTION WE SHOULD ATTEND? THANKS FOR THE HELP AND LET HER FLY

Hi,

Well, it might be too late, but the first thing you need to do is purchase a copy of 21 Things Every Home Inspector Should Know, read it cover to cover and then decide whether you still want to forge ahead.

I gotta be frank - if I'd had a copy of this available to me 10 years ago when I was thinking about doing this, I probably would have done something else. It really cuts through to the meat of what the business is and doesn't paint any rosy unrealistic pictures.

You should be able to get it through Amazon. If not, try going straight to the publisher - Dearborn Home Inspection Education Inc..

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Originally posted by INSPECTPRO1

. . . I WANT TO BE THE BEST OR I DON'T WANT TO PLAY.

You aren't going to be the best out of the gate. You've got competitors with a 20 year head start. First lesson: don't try to fool yourself. Know your limitations.

At best, you're going to be mediocre for the first few years. Maybe someday you'll hit best.

Read this thread https://www.inspectorsjournal.com/forum ... IC_ID=1912

- Jim Katen, Oregon

HEY,

Stop yelling at us. When you type in all caps in a forum it's the same as raising your voice. There is a place for that, LIKE DISCUSSING WHAT THE COURT DID TO LAND OWNERS TODAY!!!

Take a couple of weeks and read ALL of the arcives of this forum, pick a course that fits you and take it. Try to find a mentor in a neighboring market and pay him to go on as many ride alongs as he will let you.

You have to have a burning desire to be a business owner too.

You'll be fine, but expect to make mistakes and be ready to fix them.

Bruce

You should get, if you don’t already have, specific knowledge & education about proper application, installation, performance characteristics and failure causes for all the different types of:

1. The way the Lots & grounds & grading affect the structure;

2. Old and New Exterior surface materials and the various components thereof, wood lap, cement asbestos, vinyl, brick, log, masonite, etc;

3. Old and New Roofing materials, including gutter systems, downspouts, and leader extensions;

4. The complete electrical system from the Service Drop to the outlet, including the different brands & models of panels, wiring types & sizes & ampacity, required locations for the different types of switches & outlets, etc. (all systems from Knob & Tube to present day systems)

5. Structural components of the home from the roof framing to the foundation walls (including crawling thru the attics and crawl spaces);

6. Heating Systems, including flues and ductwork requirements;

7. Air Conditioning Systems;

8. Fireplaces / Wood Stoves / Chimneys; (are you familiar with

Trimmer Arch Supports? It raised heck with me on the testing I took, i.e. the NHIE – National Home Inspectors Examination).

9. Plumbing Systems; (Complete DWV - (Drain, Waste, Vent) requirements)

10. Water heaters.

11. Kitchen Appliances;

12. Interior construction materials;

13. Laundry Room Applications.

14. Business Management

15. Marketing

16. Taxes & accounting

17. Insurance

18. and I’m sure there’s more I’m missing off the top of my head.

As any detailed advice I would give you, about becoming a home inspector, could appear to be self serving, I will give very little. But I will point you to the best resources on the internet for getting the advice. It will take you some work to dig it out though. It is NOT as easy and simple as the “Become a Home Inspector, make $500 - $800 a dayâ€

Erby,

Thanks for the time and the insite,I am glad it is not as easy as all the schools and franchise vendors say.We have enough cash on hand and I have been in sales for twenty four years, those sound like the reasons most start ups fail.I look forward to the challengicon_speech_yeah.gife