Draining Code

Mike Lamb

That's when I turn to my client and say something like "OK, I'm going to let this moron explain to you why it's OK to have shit backing up into your basement. Apparently, I don't understand".

I then step back and don't say another word. The couple times I've done this, the flipper gets flustered, my customer smirks, and the point is made.

Main Entry:1de?fect

Pronunciation:*d*-*fekt, di-*

Function:noun

Etymology:Middle English, from Latin defectus lack, from deficere to desert, fail, from de- + facere to do ? more at DO

Date:15th century

1 a : an imperfection that impairs worth or utility : SHORTCOMING *the grave defects in our foreign policy* b : an imperfection (as a vacancy or an unlike atom) in a crystal lattice

2 [Latin defectus] : a lack of something necessary for completeness, adequacy, or perfection : DEFICIENCY *a hearing defect*

That's when I turn to my client and say something like "OK, I'm going to let this moron explain to you why it's OK to have shit backing up into your basement. Apparently, I don't understand".

I then step back and don't say another word. The couple times I've done this, the flipper gets flustered, my customer smirks, and the point is made.

Man, what I'd give to see you in action. [;)]

Marc

It's really not much of a show. I don't plan it. It's not loud. I just give the floor over, and do something else. I just don't have the time or inclination to engage some moron blathering idiocies. We always get the last word anyway, so let the goofball make himself look stupid.

Man, what I'd give to see you in action. [;)]

Marc

Just do it yourself!

It's just as easy or easier and way more fun to stand a lying bullshitter on their heels, than it is to listen to their bullshit in the first place.

If you're stupid enough to try to make me look like a fool in front of others with that kind of crap because you spent your whole life getting away with it in front of folks who were scared to be seen as being combative and not able to play nice, you picked the wrong guy.

I take great pleasure in shocking the hell out of people who operate this way. Even more so, when you've got both barrels loaded with enough correct information to blow them to hell. They don't know what to do with that. Everyone around you will cringe, then in private, just about stop short of giving you a medal.

I did an inspection and a re-inspection of this property. Some issues were fixed, others were not.

This issue with the floor drain is in an attached garage. The driveway pitches severely towards the garage. There is an outside drain to catch the rain water. The inside drain becomes significant if the outside drain fails for whatever reason. This issue is not lost on the buyer.

It's a damned shame when this poor girl's own lawyer is telling her that a defective drain is nothing to be concerned about.

There is no happy, happy in our line of work. I experience no joy in confronting idiots. It seems I'm doing this too often. My client is hiring her own plumber to check it out before she closes. I hope all turns out for the best.

Main Entry:1de?fect

Pronunciation:*d*-*fekt, di-*

Function:noun

Etymology:Middle English, from Latin defectus lack, from deficere to desert, fail, from de- + facere to do ? more at DO

Date:15th century

1 a : an imperfection that impairs worth or utility : SHORTCOMING *the grave defects in our foreign policy* b : an imperfection (as a vacancy or an unlike atom) in a crystal lattice

2 [Latin defectus] : a lack of something necessary for completeness, adequacy, or perfection : DEFICIENCY *a hearing defect*

Right. And it reminds me of the link between "fecund" and "feckless". One is productive and the other is not.

I once attended a standoff with a buyer of a "new" house and the "builder" who had delivered such a collection of defects that the buyer wanted a 100% refund. The builder (also the listing realtor) was reduced to saying, "Who cares what Jim Baird thinks? We know there's nothing wrong with those steps."

He ended up buying the house back from them.