Furnace Clunking

Mike Lamb

I had a furnace last week that was very very loud, I determined it was air being sucked into through the combustion air intake pipe ontop of the furnace - similar to the one in your picture. Somehow turblance was being created and if i placed just one finger into the pipe the sound went away.

Too, there's an internal trap on the flue-gas condensate drain. Since the furnace hasn't been fired for a few months, the trap was probably dry or nearly dry. Flue gases pushing their way through a partially-filled trap would create a gurgling sound like the one heard in your video.

Does it start the noise as soon as the burners fire, or do you have to wait a minute for the sound to start?

It took about a minute.

The first fire-up set off the smoke detector. New construction.

I shut it down and waited awhile. No smoke the second start-up but the plenum became extremely hot to the point where it could cause burns. The furnace then short cycled off after about 4-5 minutes.

Mike.. That's the condensate in the trap goigling.. :) I run into that every once in awhile..

Recently had the same thing at a 'hard' PVC condensate drain that was going into a laundry-drain pipe... same exact sound... the trap was in the attic, but the noise was transmitted down to the end of the pipe..