Foundation Cracks & Impact on Home Value

Greetings:

I am not an inspector, but a homeowner trying to get some insight on what a cracked foundation will do to a home's value. I have had the foundation pinned/supports driven in (by Olshan, if it matters), but I need to get a handle on what the settling might have done to the value of the house. The pics are all taken in my basement, but I can add some exterior shots if it will help. Also, these are all post-repair, when I had the foundation work done, these cracks were significantly wider than they are now.

Any insight or wisdom that might be offered is much appreciated. Thanks.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201287231539_DSC_0261.jpg

12.54 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201287231555_DSC_0262.jpg

22.84 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201287231615_DSC_0270.jpg

69.12 KB

I would keep all the paperwork to show the repair was done.

Then I would seal the cracks with a tube of concrete caulking compound. Shop for the right stuff that has a silicone and concrete base.

I sealed up a crack in my foundation 4 years ago. It is still sealed, so we know there is no problem, no movement.

• 1 month later...

Foundation cracks can minimize the value of your house even it can lead to serious danger. Check the inner walls and determine the source of leaks and water seepage, especially where walls meet the floor.

well - I have seen tens of thousands of cracks in foundation walls and only seen a couple that eventually completely fell over and endangered something. Don't blow them off, but do use some common sense and seek professional advice. Most cracks are completely normal and explainabe.

Therefore, if you ask me, a professional inspector, I am saying generally they have little or no impact on value.

Funny thing about the real estate business is appraisers are asked what condition something is in and establish value, while inspectors are asked about only the condition. Seems appraisers are far more knowledgeable than inspectors; they know all. Actually I have never known an inspector that was good at value and vice versa with appraisers.

PS: AFvet1982, Omaha = B-52's?

I don't know why a crack would have an impact on value unless the buyer can prove that the crack is an ongoing issue that will continually need to be addressed.

Think of the house the way that you think about your car. If you crack a cylinder head and have it replaced and your engine is running fine and as good as new (better in some cases), would a dealer be right to offer you less than the fair trade-in price against a new car, just because you once had to do a repair? The answer - only if the issue isn't fixed and the dealer knows he's going to have to sink more money into the car to get it up to market value.

I've seen a lot of pinned foundations, underpinned foundations and lots of mud-jacked foundations. Each needs to be looked at in terms of the seriousness of the crack, degree of damage done to the house (if it's evident) and whether or not the repair looks like it's been done professionally and adequately. Sometimes I can know at a glance; sometimes I have to punt it to an engineer to bless or diss as the engineer sees fit. If an engineer disses the repair, the buyer's focus usually turns to getting the work done again or reinforced in such a way that value is maintained and will still be there when he/she goes to sell years from now.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Foundation cracks can minimize the value of your house even it can lead to serious danger. Check the inner walls and determine the source of leaks and water seepage, especially where walls meet the floor.

Wait for it... wait for it... ok, where is the link that's gonna get dropped from this one?

Foundation cracks can pose several damages to the house. It does not decreases the value of house but pose dangers to the health of family members. Cracks can cause flooding and water leakage in the various parts of the house. Moisture can lead to the growth of mold and mildew which can spread various allergies and infections in house.