Interstate Slalom

So I'm on the way to a job today and suddenly found myself competing in a slolom at 70 mph.

A big piggyback dump truck with a load of gravel in each bed decided to lose it's driveshaft right in front of me turning the interstate into a whole lot of cars swerving to avoid each other and big pieces of metal bouncing and spinning down the pavement.

I got through it unscathed but one lady with too-slow reflexes took her Subaru Forester over the top of that spinning driveshaft, went a little airborne and came down hard with both left tires blown out. The truck was pulling off the road with her behind. I looked in the mirror and saw at least three cars off to the side trying to maneuver back into traffic.

Yung was following my Baja in her Beemer. When we got to the job, I asked her, did you see that truck come apart? She just looked at me blank and said, "You're crazy. Do you know how close you came to hitting someone back there? What the heck was that all about?"

I just shook my head, grabbed my clipboard and the contract and walked up the driveway to meet the client. Couldn't believe that she'd driven through all of that chaos and all she'd gotten out of it was the perception that her heavy-footed husband was hot rodding again.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Mike-Glad you made it through safely.!!

I make it a habit of driving my wife's vehicle periodically since one time early in our marriage I had to drive her car and quickly noticed that the wheel was pulling to the left when I was on the highway. When I questioned her about it she told me that she noticed it but since it still drove okay if she pulled the car straight, she did not think it was something to worry about or to tell me. It makes me feel better to occassionally check her vehicle to make sure there are no obvious (to me) problems.

Sexist Conclusion-(sorry Danica Patrick)- Men have a better ability to drive a car/truck and feel the problems. Women have a better ability to do almost everything else-especially find things that we think are lost in the house.

Mike, all wheel drive probably kept you in control, that and being alert. I notice the difference between my wife's AWD Outback with Michelins and my RWD Ranger with whatever tires. I can't make the Subaru spin out in a turn, even in slush.

"Steve's Sexist Conclusion- Men have a better ability to drive a car/truck and feel the problems. Women have a better ability to do almost everything else-especially find things that we think are lost in the house."

My experience is the opposite. My wife finds problems with her car when all I hear is that the radio needs to be turned up. [:)]

The only reason something gets lost in the house is because she moved it. [:)]