Trane ton capacity HELP??

Jerry Lozier

I've always just looked at the model number and anything close to a number somewhere in the middle of that number that's dividable by 12 is the tonnage.

I'm sure there's a unit out there somewhere that doesn't follow that rule, but I haven't seen one in the 3 units I've seen this year. . . the 20 units I've seen in the last 14 years.

1 ton per 750sf is the rough range commonly cited. That'd figure out to about 4.4 ton for this house. So, theoretically, 5 ton might be close.

There's a lot to consider in sizing equipment, and there really isn't any standard multiplier that's going to be 100% accurate for all cases.

Hi Terry,

How many Sq. Footage per ton do you use when looking at the size of an unit?

On commercial 1 cfm per sq ft with 400 cfm per ton always worked. With older residential 650 cfm per ton is a good rule of thumb - 1600 sf / 650 = 2.5 ton (rounded up). Newer homes are a lot more energy efficient so lower tonnage is expected. I would think that this has been kicked around before here.

What I look for is something that seems really out of whack for the structure. A greenhorn in the HVAC field will always oversize thinking that a bigger unit will always be assured of keeping the structure cool.

Just my opinion.

A greenhorn in the HVAC field will always oversize thinking that a bigger unit will always be assured of keeping the structure cool.

Just my opinion.

It's a good opinion.

There was a national study out of the University of Minnesota several years ago that found over 97% of all HVAC equipment was either oversized or undersized.

Glazing orientation and type can wildly skew numbers; few take this stuff into account.