Closed cut valley, kind of reversed

Richard Moore

So, as soon as I get on the ladder my first thought was "that doesn't look right". Small older house with two closed cut valleys at a "decorative" gable. The shingles have been cut with the overlay edge on the up slope. It seems wrong, and I can't remember seeing one done like this before,

but is it really a big deal?. It's an older roof with probably not much more than another 5 years left, but otherwise is in OK condition. There were zero indications of leaks in the attic or interior near these valleys.

While it seems and looks ass-backwards, isn't it effectively just a little extra overlay? In other words, does it really matter if some runoff seeped under the "glued" edge if it would still have to go a long way uphill, between layers, on the other side of the valley to cause problems?

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif 121006W033x.jpg

290.89 KB

Digression.....

How much time does it take to generate a report when one is doing this sort of thing? I know it's easy to do once, but are there so few defects in your houses you can take the time to markup all the pics?

I'd have a sentence and an arrow pointing to the problem.

Digression.....

How much time does it take to generate a report when one is doing this sort of thing? I know it's easy to do once, but are there so few defects in your houses you can take the time to markup all the pics?

I'd have a sentence and an arrow pointing to the problem.

For me, too long, but it's always been that way, and cropping and marking up the photos is only a small percentage of that time. BTW, they're not my houses and I'm fairly certain they have the "regular" number of defects, meaning whatever is there. I have, over time, reduced the number of photos in the report to only those I think are really useful. I'm long past the phase where I feel the need to stick in a photo of every damn thing just to make the report sexy. My main issue is that I never learned to type with more than two fingers and I also have to keep pausing to read crap on the web. OK, I don't have to do that last bit, but I'm easily distr....oooh...Squirrel!

Interesting. I use photos for every damn item because it makes it go so much faster; lots less writing, drag and drop, type a quick sentence, on to the next. Nothing to do with sex, only clarity and speed.

This whole report generation thing has gotten very strange over the last couple decades. All the systems for making it "easier" seem to have complicated it greatly. I don't know anyone that can put out a recognizable report in a reasonable amount of time.

I also spend what most would consider to be too much time. Always been that way with me too. It's the 'take care of the customer and the customer will take care of you' approach.

On my next software, the markup is done directly upon the page after the text, photos and drawings are in place. All markups for a single report are done at once so that might save time as well improve the appeal and flow of the report.

Marc