Kitchen sink drain

Phillip

I'm not sure if you're aloud to have a kitchen sink configured that way, but the drain should be fine as long as there's a trap for the floor drain. That's how a lot of convenience stores plumb their sink around here due to the amount of crap people put down them. It makes for easy cleaning. I know you should not have a trap on the sink drain from the sink.

I don't see how putting the trap below the floor makes it easier to clean out.

In the civilized world, you install a removable trap downstream from the garbage disposer. That mess is unsanitary.

The shutoffs are situated in a handy location (positive note), but (negative note) the supply lines are vulnerable to having crap piled on top of them.

I don't see how putting the trap below the floor makes it easier to clean out.

In the civilized world, you install a removable trap downstream from the garbage disposer. That mess is unsanitary.

The shutoffs are situated in a handy location (positive note), but (negative note) the supply lines are vulnerable to having crap piled on top of them.

Having the trap below the floors does not make for easy cleaning. I was not clear, but it's the big ole grates that are installed over the floor drains at the convenience stores the catch all the stuff instead of going into the drain that make them easier to clean.

I would explain this is not typical way to plumb a kitchen sink drain and explain the much simpler everyday way.

Here in Alberta a trap beneath the floor is not permissible.

"The Plumbing Industry is reminded that fixture traps must be readily accessible for

servicing and inspection, without requiring the removal of any obstacles or the use of a

portable ladder. They must also be located to avoid odour complaints. The installation of

a trap under the floor to serve a lavatory, a sink or a laundry tray does not meet the

intent or requirements of the National Plumbing Code of Canada (NPC) 2010"

Full text here: http://www.municipalaffairs.alberta.ca/ ... -07-09.pdf

I am wondering if there is a trap and if the vertical distance from the bottom sink to the trap weir is less than 24" as set out in 1001.4 of the UPC?

When I see work like this it shouts Un-Professional and I want to know what's "down stream"; trap, vent, pitch, etc. I also ask myself is there a reason for the unconventional way something is installed.

Lee Place