bird screen on exhaust and intakes

4000sposse

The "staining" under the left is frozen condensation coming from the boiler exhaust. Very cold today but during the summer one will rarely run and the other will not run at all. I am going to recommend screens on all. I will check the manufacturer info. What is strange is that why did the guy put a screen on one but not the others? This is the forth time I have seen this, this year. Doesn't matter I think they should be there. Thanks all.

Am i missing something, or should all exhaust flues and intakes for furnaces, or boilers have bird screens?

No. Some manufacturers specifically prohibit it.

Doesn't matter I think they should be there.
If you recommend screens, it better be specifically permitted by the manufacturer of the equipment. If permitted, the screen better meet the specifics listed in the instructions. I know one that require "a properly engineered louver".

What's staining the cedar under the left vent, condensate or bird shit?

If it's the latter you need a screen.

Take a good look at that vent on the left and you will see vapor coming out of it. Birds won't go there, although they might if that appliance is shut off for long periods of time.

I was being facetious. Does this mean I have to revert to using smileys?

I installed the stainless steel screen that the manufacture provided but it iced up over the first winter and kept shutting my furnace off. I removed it and now when I do my yearly cleaning of the unit, I open up the sealed combustion chamber and remove the BBQ'd bird of squirrel.

If an animal gets in there during the summer, the smell tells me I need to do a cleaning.

Am i missing something, or should all exhaust flues and intakes for furnaces, or boilers have bird screens?

No. Some manufacturers specifically prohibit it.

Doesn't matter I think they should be there.
If you recommend screens, it better be specifically permitted by the manufacturer of the equipment. If permitted, the screen better meet the specifics listed in the instructions. I know one that require "a properly engineered louver".

You are right. I contacted the manufacturer both by phone message and email, left serial number of units and asked "if it was ok to put on screens." Never got a reply, so I stated in the report to check equipment manual if screens are OK and check any specifications or requirements. That should cover it, thanks for the replies all.

I think it's a grey area.. if they put screens in, bees and 'junk' (including ice) might accumulate... then 'no heat'..

To put this into perspective, I was at a place recently that had boxes of small LI batteries... the printing on the boxes said "DO NOT DELIVER VIA AIRPLANE" (due to the hazard.....fire..)..

Yet.. Boeing has LI batteries in the now-grounded Dreamliner...because of the batteries..! it's a constant 'yah-but' in this business of home inspection, technology, safety, and 'ya-...but if.. "