Seeking suggestions for Compound Mitre Saw

Hi All...it's been a while since I've checked in, but I had a question about Mitre Saws. Some of you know I gutted my bathroom & have been working on it for a while. I've been searching for a good compound mitre saw. I don't want to pay alot for it, but some of my buddies around here have said to buy a sliding compound. I'm probably going to buy a sliding, but I've been checking out different brands. My feelings on this, are most of them are very close to the others (though I've been told Hitachi's and Makita's are probably the best-of course, that was a salesman, who I believe worked on commission).

Does anyone have any brands they prefer? Why? I've completed all the major work in my bathroom, now it's just a matter of all the details-i.e., the cabinet, toilet bowl, casing around the window/door, wallboard.

I have several other projects in mind for the saw, as well...wanting to put crown molding in the den, remove other wall board and reinstall new after carpeting/hardwood in other parts of the house. So it'll be a good investment for me to have a tool I'll be able to have, but I would like it to be versatile. I can handle a tool that is $650.00-$700.00, if I felt it was worth it.

Any thoughts???

Gordon,

As an ex(?) professional woodworker I always liked the quality of DeWalt tools. I have the 12" compound miter saw, but never did upgrade to the slider (although I eyed one constantly). I never could justify getting it, as I do most of my fine cutting with jigs on my table-saw (you can't beat that) and the chop-saw works just fine for trim, etc. Nothing against Hitachi or Makita...both also make good tools...but sometimes you just got to go with the color you like. As stupid as it sounds, I like the look of Dewalt yellow in my workshop.

I really haven't looked at new woodworking tools for a while now, so I'm not sure about the latest sliders, but Makita, Hitachi, or DeWalt would be good quality choices. If you can find a good deal on one, then spend the extra money on a really good blade (I like Forrests). Have fun...nothing like a new power tool!

PUSH, dont pull!

I've used Makita, DeWalt, and Hitachi. I still own the original Makita slide compound. It is 15 years old, an other than cosmetic issues, it is as good as new. I've worked it very hard until the last 5 years. The DeWalt and Hitachi both worked really well AND bevel both ways. My Makita only bevels to the left.

I, personally, would stay away from Rigid, Ryobi, and anything from Harbor Frieght, unless I had the understanding that I was buying a "disposable" tool. I've seen all of them on the job site, and they just don't hold up.

Personally, I wouldn't spend $500 on a saw to trimout my bathroom. I agree with Chris, if you are using the saw every day, get the best tool you can buy. I used my Harbor Freight saw to cut all of my baseboards and door casings and it is still accurate and like new. It is really very well machined, however the motor is probably the weak point.

If money is no object, definately go with the Makita.

Originally posted by homnspector

Personally, I wouldn't spend $500 on a saw to trimout my bathroom. I agree with Chris, if you are using the saw every day, get the best tool you can buy. I used my Harbor Freight saw to cut all of my baseboards and door casings and it is still accurate and like new. It is really very well machined, however the motor is probably the weak point.

If money is no object, definately go with the Makita.

Absolutely! I use Ryobi for little crap around the house, but I wouldn't be caught dead with it on a job site!

The truth is, for projects around the house, any saw will probably work and last you a while. Personally I like power and lots of it. 99% of the time I don't need it though.

Go down to Sears, Lowes or HD and get one you like.

However, if this was a saw you'd be using day in, day out to put food on the table, then you'd want a reliable workhorse and spend the extra $$$ for one.

I'd check ebay also and see if there is one in your area for sale. Who knows, you might save enough to buy another power tool with!

For the scope of work that you’re planning on doing, why not buy yourself a top-of-the-line backsaw & and make a nice old-fashioned miter box to go with it? Or consider a hand-powered miter saw – the kind with adjustable angles and roller guides.

You’ll discover the pleasure of actually cutting wood by hand without the ear-piercing noise and the risk of loosing a finger with every cut. As a bonus, when you cut returns, they’ll stay right there on the box instead of flying across the room.

I don’t have anything in particular against power tools, but sometimes they just don’t make any sense. In general, they seem to allow people to make mistakes faster, waste more wood than ever before, and cause hearing loss at an alarming rate.

That said, my favorite is the one I own – a Rockwell 34-010 Motorized Miter Box. Bought it in 1977.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Thanks everyone!!! For the record...it won't just be for my bathroom, but several projects I still have in mind. I do want something durable, and that will last me a long time-I hate having to pay for something else, when I might be able to purchase the right product now (if I go that route, i.e, Mr. Katen). I'm taking all advice under consideration, and I appreciate everyone's input!!!

Gordon, you are starting to sound like Tim Allen (or me). Fine Homebuilding did a comparison on mitre saws awhile back. I usually refer to those comparisons.

I am pleased to say I agreed, this time, with Jim - Cutting wood is a joy that should be prolonged and as quiet as possible. Listen to your saw or chisel and it will play beautiful music!

Update...after several comparisons, taking time to listen to friends online or in real life, and a great deal of patience (something I'm not known for when it comes to buying something I really want!!), I ended up getting a great deal on a DeWalt sliding compound mitre saw! With the new product lines coming into the market, it occurred to me to ask about floor models that have never been used. After checking around (other stores, ebay, talking to a couple DeWalt reps.), I found this to be a very valuable buy!!!

Jim...I should let you know, I found it very intriguing to take up your advice! I may still do so, just for a project (you know-when you need to get some time away for yourself).

Thanks everyone!!!