dishwasher controls

Shouldn't a correct installation include the ability to reach the controls while the door is closed?

In this house they had installed hardwood floors up to the cabinet edges and set the dishwasher feet on the wood floor. The result is inability to access the controls while the door is closed.

I wrote it up but I'm wondering if you would do the same.

BTW, they didn't remove the knockout in the disposal connection for the DW drain line either.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201382023400_P1380554.jpg

37.55 KB

I see dishwashers every day that have the controls concealed so they can't be accessed unless the door is open. My KitchenAid is that way.

Would not write it up. Seems petty to me.

Alright then, I'll pass on the write up. It just threw me with the raised floor level and all. Normally the unit is lower and the controls are still accesible with the door closed.

As far as being petty is concerned, there is certainly no need for that on this house. There's lots of stuff to sink your teeth in to. I'm just a tad worried about this one though. The client said some things that caught my attention. Things like, "you have insurance dont you? and, "I'm not crazy about your limited liability clause"

I see dishwashers every day that have the controls concealed so they can't be accessed unless the door is open. My KitchenAid is that way.

Been building them like that for quite a while. You might better be looking for how it's secured to the counter top. If some knucklehead installed one like that with the controls exposed, the front tabs you secure it with, would be exposed beyond the nosing of the top.

Been building them like that for quite a while. You might better be looking for how it's secured to the counter top. If some knucklehead installed one like that with the controls exposed, the front tabs you secure it with, would be exposed beyond the nosing of the top.

Screwed through the sides into the cabinets was the securing method. But it's not about how far the door protrudes laterally from the cabinet or counter top into the room. The smaller clearance is because wood floors were added but the counter top and cabinets were not raised accordingly. It crams the top of the dishwasher closer to the underside of the counter top making the controls not accessible because the gap is too narrow to fit your fingers in.

But I'll let it go.

Shouldn't a correct installation include the ability to reach the controls while the door is closed?

Why would you need to access the controls when the door is closed?

I see two of three of these a month. Even when the front of the dishwasher doesn't sit on the finish flooring, you can't really get to the controls and, even if you could, you can't see what's what anyway. They're designed to have the buttons pushed before the door is closed.

I see two of three of these a month. Even when the front of the dishwasher doesn't sit on the finish flooring, you can't really get to the controls and, even if you could, you can't see what's what anyway. They're designed to have the buttons pushed before the door is closed.

I figured if you wanted to push cancel you wouldn't need to open the door and risk a potential leak by stopping the machine in mid wash cycle.

Is that silly thinking?

• 11 months later...

I figured if you wanted to push cancel you wouldn't need to open the door and risk a potential leak by stopping the machine in mid wash cycle.

Is that silly thinking?

John,

With newer dishwashers I often do not run a full cycle. As soon as you open the door it shuts off. I just open it enough to stop then wait a second or two, open it further and push cancel. Never have a problem with leaks. It seemed strange at first, but I see them all the time now.

Is that silly thinking?

John,

With newer dishwashers I often do not run a full cycle. As soon as you open the door it shuts off. I just open it enough to stop then wait a second or two, open it further and push cancel. Never have a problem with leaks. It seemed strange at first, but I see them all the time now.

When you push cancel and close the door, does the pump pull all the water out? I dont want to do is leave a dishwasher with water pooled up in it.