Transite ductwork

John Dirks Jr

Could go several ways. I would recommend hvac. Hvac would/should have knowledge of the condition and propose a solution. I suppose you could involve "everyone" (foundation person, asbestos person, code person, hvac person, scope person, etc.), but I favor simple.

In making recommendations regarding in slab transite ductwork, what type of contractor do you think should be contacted? Asbestos abatement or other?

In the report I would tell them to get with a qualified HVAC contractor. I would also note what the ductwork is and that additional professionals might be needed to resolve the issue. As Les said, keep it simple.

Same here. Problem is, getting the sealant applied is problematic in long runs. Most companies just seal the edges of the hole feeding the register and a little ways either side of the hole.

Whether or not it's even necessary to seal the material is a very debatable question. This has much to do with perception, hysteria, and potential legal entanglements than with specific health risk.

As for what should be done, is abandoning the transite altogether the best course of action?

I have never seen in-slab ductwork that is worth trying to save, it is always full of nasties!

Ditto - not many in my area but most are full of water. I'm not an alarmist about radon but I'm guessing this would almost guarantee high levels if it is a problem area.