Continuing Ed

Greg Booth

.....I'm in the process of accumulating my 24 hours mandated, in classroom, continuing education for NY license renewal. Thought I would try a vendor that I've not previously utilized (Manfred Learning Center) with a course recently approved by NY for 8 hours credit titled "Mobiles, Modulars and Manufactured Housing". While the information that was presented was mostly accurate, there was absolutely no depth and nothing even remotely helpful to an HI trying to hone his skills in the manufactured housing segment.

There were about 25 people in the class, 3 HIs and the rest evenly divided between assessors and appraisers. There was pretty good information on how to establish values and comps, and a little bit about how to distinguish between Mods and HUD Codes. The principle "clues" being that if you see a plastic vanity sink it will be a HUD Code - china or enameled steel equals Mod [:-paperba. For this I spent $150, and drove 5 hours to the class site - lunch was good though.

Anyway, just yakking about my frustration 'cause there persists so much misinformation about manufactured housing and I don't see much change in the future with the dearth of educational opportunities being offered......Greg.

The single most valuable "approved" CEUs I have attended are put on by a historic preservationist. They consist of a 20 minute power point describing the history of the neighborhood in question and a description of the architectural styles we will be viewing, followed by a walking tour of said neighborhood and a tour of at least one property (conveniently listed by one of the associated REs). Unfortunately there are only enough of them to meet half my req's each cycle.

The only value I get from any other CEUs are in the mileage deductions.

I just did 24 hours, two weeks ago, with the same well meaning guy I usually take them from.

As usual, we locked horns about six or seven different times about things he refuses to correct and continues to teach guys who are paying to get the right information.

This time was way more fun. Every time it happened, the guy next to me whipped out his phone, looked things up, then pointed at me and said, no, he's right. It's right here.

Lucky for me, the old guy loves me, and knows I'm not doing it to show him up.

Thing is, the only reason I know what I know, is because of this forum, and the people who participate here.

You can't get angry or disappointed with these guys teaching these classes, and we can't depend on them to always be on top of their game.

It's up to us to do our homework and I look at the classes as refresher courses more than anything. It's part of paying the bill to do business in this State.

The best part of the three days was what I got from the others in the class. There were some very sharp people there. A lot of experience, and a great bunch of guys. We laughed our asses off for three days. That included the instructor.

My CE is due as well. Uggh.

I had planned to provide 24 hours of the best CE around (here anyway) based on the book by, and in collaboration with, Douglas Hansen. He held up his end of the bargain-and more. I simply haven't had the time to put it all together. By this fall, we'll have an approved course and some dates set in stone.

I have had some great CE over the past couple years, they have been from some local providers. One was a window manufacturer(MGM Industries) another was a foundation engineering firm that specializes in sinkholes and another was by a rep for Weyerhaeuser on engineered lumber. They were all free and held through our ASHI chapter and a state home inspector association.

ASHI InspectionWorld is another good source for my CE hours.

Way back in '01 I attended lead-based paint inspection and risk assessment training for HUD funded work. I did not have to pay for it, and talked the block grant agency I was consultant to to pay me hourly for the week's worth of "training".

I have to say I have never felt more insulted (in the intelligence mode). Because I was being paid I endured, and enjoyed some great ethnic lunches walking distance away, but the "training" company and the producer of the training module were about as sorry and inept as the private market can generate.

BTW, Greg, the best way to distinguish mod from manu is that the manu has a brass embossed HUD label on the end of the unit, but the mod has a state sticker on the inside of the electric indoor panel. Funny, in GA once a mod changes hands, it is supposed to be "re-certified" by an engineer, but believe me this kind of thing never happens here, and most local AHJ's simply lack the literacy skills to know what to do with them.

Well Scott, we'd love to see you up here.

Denver was here last weekend for the KREIA Spring Conference with about 115 other inspectors. We usually get Tennessee, Indiana & West Virginia approval of the continuing education along with ASHI, iNACHI & NAHI.

KREIA Fall Education Conference is September 26th & 27th, 2014 in Frankfort, KY

Hope to see you in the fall.