brown eaten away patch on my exterior hardy plank

marymary

I have this eaten away brown patch on my exterior hardy plank. Not sure even who to call, need to get it fixed. Seems to be getting larger. Any help would be appreciated, is it a pest, mold or moisture problems? House was built in 1996. Have included picture.

Thanks Mary

Click to Enlarge
tn_2014617205458_DSCN0491.jpg

49.22 KB

I have this eaten away brown patch on my exterior hardy plank. Not sure even who to call, need to get it fixed. Seems to be getting larger. Any help would be appreciated, is it a pest, mold or moisture problems? House was built in 1996. Have included picture.

Thanks Mary

Click to Enlarge

49.22 KB

That is not Hardiplank! That is a fiberboard siding product.... It is doing what it does when it's core gets wet.

It looks like it might be LP (Lousiana Pacific)siding.

I agree with the other posters. Not hardi. I think I can see the knothole appearing logo of LP a cpl of courses above the damage.

I know people who have woodpeckers damaging their wood siding. Also know a guy whose wood siding was invaded by yellowjackets, which ate a hole and built a nest inside, about ten feet above grade level. Yellowjackets usually nest in the ground.

Thanks for the replies. I will start by calling my pest control guy. Wonder if it is a squirrel. At any rate, I will try to get the plank replaced if that is possible. Maybe I can get it painted and add some kind of pest deterrent.

mary

Thanks for the replies. I will start by calling my pest control guy. Wonder if it is a squirrel. At any rate, I will try to get the plank replaced if that is possible. Maybe I can get it painted and add some kind of pest deterrent.

mary

If it is a squirrel aka, Tree Rat they are deathly allergic to lead pellets... [;)]

mary

Plastic snake or owl.

Thanks Mary

Click to Enlarge

49.22 KB

The siding is a shiplap style manufactured by Masonite. A rodent has chewed on the siding exposing the pressboard interior.

An exact replacement is not available but something close in appearance can be found. However the reveal is different and care should be taken when making repairs to make sure everything lines up when you are done.

I suggest the chewed spot could be filled with epoxy filler and painted.

Just make sure the guy you hire has insurance, in case he falls off the roof and breaks something. [:)]

When I was a kid, I read about Davy Crockett shooting squirrels, but I couldn't picture it. Our native squirrels are only a couple of inches long, like a chipmunk. There wouldn't much left after the musket ball takes him out.

Now thanks to globalization, we've got your big grey squirrels. I can easily picture shooting them rascals. [:)]

Just make sure the guy you hire has insurance, in case he falls off the roof and breaks something. [:)]

When I was a kid, I read about Davy Crockett shooting squirrels, but I couldn't picture it. Our native squirrels are only a couple of inches long, like a chipmunk. There wouldn't much left after the musket ball takes him out.

Now thanks to globalization, we've got your big grey squirrels. I can easily picture shooting them rascals. [:)]

John, (sorry for the drift)

My wife and I were delighted by more than one view of the "Silver Ghost" squirrel that live on Grand Canyon's North Ridge. It differs from a pale contender species native to the South.

I agree with the squirrel theorists here. Flying squirrels too, love living in attics.

Epoxy will not adhere well to this material. I would just prime and paint to match. Nobody but maybe a home inspector will ever notice.