Outlets Required in Room?

randynavarro

Brand new construction - there is a completely finished room in the basement approx. 7' x 9' or so. There are no shelves. Only a door and a switched light.

Are receptacles required in this room? Maybe they're thinking its a closet?

The only info I can find is NEC 210.52 - receptacles required in "every kitchen, family room, dining room, living room, parlor (who uses a parlor anymore!?), library, den, sunroom, bedroom, recreation room, or similar room or area of dwelling units . . ."

Hi Randy,

Did it have a legal egress window? If so, it's considered habitable and needs receptacles. If not, it can't be legally used as habitable space and is a storeroom. My understanding of this is that a storeroom doesn't need a receptacle but a shop does. What say you Jim?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Mike:

No window. This begs the question then; what is defined as a "habitable" room?

I'm not sure, but I don't think NEC makes any distinction re: a habitable room.

I've seen rooms that are called "dens" with no windows or closets but are lighted and filled w/ receptacles.

Your question is also good; what defines a "shop"?

Originally posted by randynavarro

Brand new construction - there is a completely finished room in the basement approx. 7' x 9' or so. There are no shelves. Only a door and a switched light.

Are receptacles required in this room? Maybe they're thinking its a closet?

The only info I can find is NEC 210.52 - receptacles required in "every kitchen, family room, dining room, living room, parlor (who uses a parlor anymore!?), library, den, sunroom, bedroom, recreation room, or similar room or area of dwelling units . . ."

It sounds like a storage room. If so, it doesn't need any receptacles to comply with 210.52.

Of course, you could put receptacles there. Remember that the NEC is exclusively concerned with safety. It's not a design manual.

As a home inspector, you might elect to simply inform your customer that the basement storage room isn't equipped with any receptacles.

Just because the NEC doesn't require something, that doesn't mean that you can't comment on it anyway.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Habitable spaces also require natural light and ventilation even if they are not sleeping rooms that require egress windows. (8% of the floor area in glass for natural light and 3% of the floor area for ventilation).

Although it may not be required I agree that it is good to point out that there was no outlet because you know if they don't add one there will be an extension cord running through the doorway to power something in the large closet.