Direct Vent Fireplace Question

This is a direct-vent fireplace, with a side-wall exterior concentric-type metal flue/chimney; one part of the concentric flue vents the gases, the other appears to feed the firebox with combustion air. In the picture below, though, above the firebox inside the TV niche, there is an open 3" round vent duct coming out of the base of the niche (it's behind the short black TV shelf). Cold air was coming out of this vent. It's not an HVAC vent, and it was about 25 degrees outside.

What might this vent be for?

Click to Enlarge
tn_20141129124452_Fireplace.jpg

29.67 KB

My SWAG is it's a vent to help keep the TV niche cooler from heat produced by the fireplace. Outside of that I have no idea...

Sounds right. I don't have a gas fireplace, but I did something similar in the little nook where I keep a receiver and turntable. Holes in both the bottom and the top to allow for some ventilation.

My SWAG is it's a vent to help keep the TV niche cooler from heat produced by the fireplace. Outside of that I have no idea...

Sounds right. I don't have a gas fireplace, but I did something similar in the little nook where I keep a receiver and turntable. Holes in both the bottom and the top to allow for some ventilation.

Thanks Scott & Jim; that's great reasoning.

Jim - do you think any of the folk reading this are wondering what a turntable is?

Thanks Scott & Jim; that's great reasoning.

Jim - do you think any of the folk reading this are wondering what a turntable is?

It's a circular shelf that rotates inside the cabinet, right?

Marc

A turntable is used to carve new grooves in your priceless LP's.

Hey could that pipe be for fishing AV cables in from below? Usually a smaller pipe like 1 1/2".

I have never seen anyone provide ventilation to a TV niche, but I've never been to Jim's place either. [:)]

Years ago our Toshiba stereo was acting up, loud distrotion after about an hour of play. When I pulled it out of the cabinet under the TV and set it on the work bench, it played perfect. I cut new vent holes in the sides of the stereo cabinet with a jig saw. No more overheated power transistors. It is still good, a 1980's unit in a wooden cabinet.