New Furnace?

tim5055

• 2 weeks later...

Well, if there was an "all of the above" check box, I would check it because almost all of you had part of the answer.

I had a second guy come out today to look things over and give me his ideas and price.

He looked it over and said he could suggest several things:

1. New furnace/coil hooked to the existing compressor for a dual fuel set up.

2. New furnace/coil and new compressor ending up with 95% effeciency on the furnace and a 16 SEER

3. Fix what I have and wait for everything to die - then replace it.

After running it for a while he said "I don't think any of your heat strips are working. He grabbed his meter and under the house he went. Marc, you were about spot on - 15 minutes later he said they were all dead. 10 minutes after that he had them working again. He explained that these style heat strips are prone to corrosion where they attach. He unplugged and plugged them in a few times and got them going. He said if I plan to keep what I have, that he should,really come back and pull the heat coil assembly out and clean up all the connections as it is only a matter of time before they stop working again.

So, he is going to put together some prices and get back to me.

When he left hot air was pouring out of the vents.......

• 1 month later...