Adhered Stone Masonry Veneer problems??

Erby

Erby

I and many others have said the problems with AMSV is going to make the EIFS problems in this country look like a drop in the bucket.

I do a lot of SV inspections for the relocation market and of the last 400 I have done I have not found one that has all of the details correct. Not all have problems nor are they all going to but doing it right sure manages your risk as a builder.

Currently I have five clients in my area that are experiencing water intrusion and rotting of the structure to some extent. The lack of a properly integrated kick-out flashing is the biggest problem I see. Most of the assemblies are not properly drained at the base so moisture stores up and floods the assembly and eventually works it way into the interstitial wall cavity.

These systems can be extremely protected with the use of a drainable membrane applied directly over the WRB before the lath and scratch. The cost of this membrane and accessories installed is less the two bucks per SF. The cost to remediate is 50 to 60 buck per SF.

The kick-out in your picture does not look the best. I will bet over time it proves to not work.

Come check out my session this year at ASHI

http://www.homeinspector.org/files/Insp ... Veneer.pdf